CASTI eLearning | ASTM Standards: ASTM Steel Standards Structure
This training program is designed to help you:
- better navigate through ASTM steel standards;
- understand the terminology and requirements specified in ASTM steel standards; and
- apply ASTM standards requirements to steelmaking and steel products.
The following learning outcomes will be achieved upon completing this e-learning course:
- Interpret and apply ASTM consensus standards by correctly knowing how to implement the ASTM Regulations commands of: shall, should, may, and will; in accordance with ASTM steel standards
- Determine which type of ASTM Standard is required for performing the task at hand: Specification, Test Method, Terminology, Practice, or Guide; in accordance with the ASTM Regulations.
- Identify any of the 28 standard sections within an ASTM steel specification.
- Identify the ASTM steel specification technical data sections.
- Recognize the difference between an Annex and Appendix (for correct interpretation and application) and identify changes made to a standard since the previous edition.
About This Course
This e-learning course is comprised of:
- 23 Connecting-the-Standards© examples demonstrating how to use 18 ASTM steel standards;
- 13 Knowledge Checks, including interactive skill tests; and
- Final assessment quiz to measure your knowledge level and earn IACET CEUs
This e-Learning course is designed for all people that work with ASTM steel standards or simply want to learn more about ASTM Standards.
- Regulations Governing ASTM Technical Committees
- ASTM Committee Jurisdiction and History
- Types of ASTM Standards
- Functions of ASTM Specifications
- ASTM Standard Designation System
- Types of ASTM Steel Specifications
- Prevailing ASTM Steel Specifications
- ASTM Steel Specification Sections
- ASTM Specification Scope
- Referenced Documents
- Ordering Information
- ASTM Steel Specification Technical Data
- Materials and Manufacture
- Chemical Composition
- ASTM Use of Ellipsis
- Physical Properties
- Mechanical Properties
- Pressure Test Requirements
- Nondestructive Test Requirements
- Dimensions, Mass, and Permissible Variations
- Workmanship and Rework
- Inspection, Rejections, and Rehearing
- Certifications, Product Identifications, and Marking
- Supplementary Requirements
The following 21 ASTM Standards are referenced during this e-learning course:
- A1 Standard Specification for Carbon Steel Tee Rails
- A20/A20M Standard Specification for General Requirements for Steel Plates for Pressure Vessels
- ASTM A106/A106M Standard Specification for Seamless Carbon Steel Pipe for High-Temperature Service
- ASTM A213/A213M Standard Specification for Seamless Ferritic and Austenitic Alloy-Steel Boiler, Superheater, and Heat-Exchanger Tubes
- ASTM A269/A269M Standard Specification for Seamless and Welded Austenitic Stainless Steel Tubing for General Service
- ASTM A304 Standard Specification for Carbon and Alloy Steel Bars Subject to End-Quench Hardenability Requirements
- ASTM A312/A312M Standard Specification for Seamless, Welded, and Heavily Cold Worked Austenitic Stainless Steel Pipes
- ASTM A333/A333 Standard Specification for Seamless and Welded Steel Pipe for Low-Temperature Service and Other Applications with Required Notch Toughness
- ASTM A335/A335 Standard Specification for Seamless Ferritic Alloy-Steel Pipe for High-Temperature Service
- ASTM A336/A336M Standard Specification for Alloy Steel Forgings for Pressure and High-Temperature Parts
- ASTM A370 Standard Test Methods and Definitions for Mechanical Testing of Steel Products
- ASTM A372/A372M Standard Specification for Carbon and Alloy Steel Forgings for Thin-Walled Pressure Vessels
- A484/A484M Standard Specification for General Requirements for Stainless Steel Bars, Billets, and Forgings
- ASTM A516/A516M Standard Specification for Pressure Vessel Plates, Carbon Steel, for Moderate- and Lower-Temperature Service
- ASTM A530/A530M Standard Specification for General Requirements for Specialized Carbon and Alloy Steel Pipe
- ASTM A606/A606M Standard Specification for Steel, Sheet and Strip, High-Strength, Low-Alloy, Hot-Rolled and Cold-Rolled, with Improved Atmospheric Corrosion Resistance
- ASTM A709/A709M Standard Specification for Structural Steel for Bridges
- ASTM A781/A781M Standard Specification for Castings, Steel and Alloy, Common Requirements, for General Industrial Use
- ASTM A941 Standard Terminology Relating to Steel, Stainless Steel, Related Alloys, and Ferroalloys
- ASTM A994 Standard Guide for Editorial Procedures and Form of Product Specifications for Steel, Stainless Steel, and Related Alloys
- ASTM A1010/A1010M Standard Specification for Higher-Strength Martensitic Stainless Steel Plate, Sheet, and Strip
All ASTM online courses are available for a 1-year subscription on ASTM's Learning Center for a Single User Only via username/password. Training cannot be shared. For multi-user access and pricing, contact sales here or call 1-877-909-ASTM.
Internet access is required.