You are being redirected because this document is part of your ASTM Compass® subscription.
    This document is part of your ASTM Compass® subscription.

    Volume 31, Issue 1 (January 1986)

    Mirror Images in Knots

    (Received 12 October 1984; accepted 29 March 1985)


      Format Pages Price  
    PDF (372K) 8 $25   ADD TO CART

    Cite this document

    X Add email address send
      .RIS For RefWorks, EndNote, ProCite, Reference Manager, Zoteo, and many others.   .DOCX For Microsoft Word


    Most knots are asymmetric and thus can be tied in two forms which are mirror images. An individual tends to tie one of the mirror images habitually which increases the significance of an analysis of the knot. Of 103 college students, 68 surveyed tied a knot based on an overhand knot. Of these, approximately 75% of the right-handed persons tied the overhand knot in one orientation while the other 25% tied the mirror image of it. Some background information relating to analyzing common knots is discussed.

    Author Information:

    Dale Nute, H
    Forensic scientist, Forensic & Security Consultants Corp., Tallahassee, FL

    Stock #: JFS11881J


    DOI: 10.1520/JFS11881J

    Title Mirror Images in Knots
    Symposium ,
    Committee E30