Training Courses / Course Detail
Diesel Fuels: Specifications and Test Methods
In order to register, please enter the number of attendees in the appropriate box below and click add attendees.
How You Will Benefit
This course covers a wide range of diesel fuel issues including specifications, test methods, sampling, and quality control, distribution, current issues and alternate fuels like biodiesel. There will be extensive discussion of diesel fuel lubricity, low temperature operability, and sulfur content. Participants will gain an understanding of the inter-connection of diesel fuel with other fuels and the impacts of quality requirements on refinery production and product availability.
- The significance of the requirements
- How to interpret product inspections
- Impact of product quality on diesel engine applications
- Current fuel issues and challenges
Who Should Attend
Anyone needing an understanding of diesel fuel specifications, test methods, sampling, quality control and current diesel fuel issues. The course is especially suitable for those new to fuels, in both hands-on positions and supervisory or managerial roles in:
- Petroleum companies
- Pipeline and terminal operation
- Petroleum testing laboratories
- Federal, state / provincial and local regulatory agencies
- Fuel marketers and purchasing department
- Engine and fuel injection / fuel system manufacturers
- Environmental companies
- Consumer groups
- Attorneys involved in petroleum-related litigation
A technical or scientific background is not required.
- Crude oil to petroleum products
- Diesel fuel specifications
- Diesel fuel test methods: lubricity, low temperature operability, sulfur
- Diesel fuel - additional requirements
- Chemistry & refining
- Diesel Fuel Additives
- *On-Highway / Off-highway / locomotive / marine / heating oil
- Alternative diesel fuel biodiesel
- Diesel fuel & diesel engine issues
- Key ASTM Guide
- Static electricity & microbial contamination
- Storage & handling
- Sampling practices
- Quality Assurance / Quality Control / Repeatability / Reproducibility
- Recent diesel fuel issues
- Tour of a testing facility, OEM site or terminal operation, as possible.
About the Instructor
ANDY PICKARD has worked in fuels and lubricants for more than 38 years, and has been a member of ASTM International for 25 years, participating in test method developments and product standards committees (diesel fuel and other middle distillate fuels, biodiesel, gasoline, ethanol, LPG, and heavy fuel oils). Following academic training in chemistry with a doctorate in organometallic chemistry - he spent 10 years with Imperial Oil (Exxon Mobil in Canada) and 24 years with Petro-Canada. A good part of that time was spent working between refineries, distribution, marketers and customers on fuel issues. He is now a consultant on fuels and technology support, and continues to participate in both ASTM and CGSB (Canadian General Standards Board) fuel standard developments.
On-Site Training Available
ASTM can bring this course to your site! This on-site training at your facility will be tailored to meet the specific needs of your organization. For more information, please contact sales here or call 1-877-909-ASTM.
About ASTM and Committee D02
ASTM is one of the world's largest voluntary standards development organizations. ASTM standards have grown to be among the world's most widely used and accepted documents. The 82-volume Annual Book of ASTM Standards (available online, print, and CD-ROM) contain over 12,000 standards written by 34,000 members on our 140 technical committees. The standard referenced in this course was developed by Committee D02 on Petroleum Products and Lubricants. For information on Committee D02, contact David Bradley at (610) 832-9681 or go to our D02 technical committee page.
Return to Course Listing