To promote the advancement of nuclear science and technology and the safe application of energy by:
1) Standardizing measurement techniques and specifications for radiation effects and dosimetry including materials response, instrument response, and fuel burnup.
2) Standardizing the nomenclature and definitions used in or relating to testing methods or instruments in support of nuclear industry.
3) Maintaining a broad expertise in application of nuclear science and technology especially the measurement of radiation effects from environments of nuclear reactor, particle accelerators, indigenous space, spacecraft, and radionuclides.
4) Maintaining a broad expertise in the applications of radionuclides.
5) Sponsoring scientific and technical symposia and publications in the Committee's fields of specialization.
6) Performing liaison with related ASTM committees and other technical societies and organizations, both national and international.
Advising other technical committees of the Society in our field of expertise.
Beta Counting Methods, Aluminum Absorption Curve
This practice is one product of a reorganization of E181-17: Standard Test Methods for Detector Calibration and Analysis of Radionuclides. Structural and technical changes are sought in order to keep the standard current with industry methods and practices. E181 combines several marginally related topics making it difficult to maintain. Although it is so named, E181 does not meet current ASTM requirements for a new test method. This effort will address the sections of E181 related to Beta counting methods including the Aluminum absorption curve. Additional standards will address other topics discussed in E181. The original document E181 will be reformatted as a guide and function as a matrix document to maintain links with the standards referencing the existing version of E181 with the newly developed standards. Further information, as well as updates to the process, can be found in the discussion section.
The title and scope are in draft form and are under development within this