The Committee shall be responsible for:
* The development and revision of fire standards intended for analysis and assessment of the fire performance of materials, products and assemblies within their relevant environment;
* The development and revision of fire test standards intended to measure and describe the response of materials, products and assemblies to sources of heat and/or flame under controlled conditions; and
* The stimulation and, where appropriate, support of fire-related research; and, the administration and evaluation of fire research programs related to E05 activities;
* The development and revision of fire hazard and fire risk assessment standards, including those suitable for use by regulatory officials, which deal with, but are not limited to: buildings, structures, materials, products and assemblies; furnishings and contents; mechanical and electrical appliances and equipment; and transportation facilities and equipment;
* The development and revision of fire test methods for measuring fire responses and properties of materials, products and assemblies when exposed to laboratory sources of heat, or flame, or both. Such methods shall relate to the fire performance of materials, products and assemblies as part of a relevant fire environment, using appropriate information and experience from actual fires and analysis of results of fire research;
* Identifying means for measuring the hazard or risk associated with fire, or during the fire extinguishment process;
* Monitoring the public need for fire standards, and proposing new standards as appropriate;
* Providing guidance to the user of fire standards on the words and methods used to communicate fire aspects of materials, products and assemblies; and
* Providing guidance to laboratories performing fire tests and encouraging good laboratory practice to promote safe use of materials, products, and assemblies.
The work of this Committee shall be coordinated with other ASTM Committees and other organizations having mutual interests.
fabric, fire, flammability, foam, furniture, ignition, resilient cellular foam, upholstered, upholstery cover material, upholstery material
ASTM E5 does not have a small open flame fire test for components or composites of upholstered furniture
The title and scope are in draft form and are under development within this