About this journal
This journal fosters transdisciplinary research that crosses the boundaries of information science, systems engineering and engineering design, manufacturing, data science, and product life cycle with a focus on how to make manufacturing systems smarter and sustainable.
The journal specifically invites papers that will address advanced manufacturing; energy and materials for manufacturing; product, process, and asset (machine tools, machinery) digitization for integrated production optimization; measurement science; and standards, protocols, and tools needed to design, analyze, and control smart manufacturing systems based on a cyber-physical infrastructure for manufacturing.
Relevant Topics Include:
- Information Modeling
- Information and domain specific modeling, semantics, and architecture for manufacturing systems
- Material information modeling across the product life cycle
- Cyber-Physical System (CPS) modeling and architecture,
- Digital manufacturing and model-based systems engineering
- Digital thread for additive manufacturing
- Advanced Manufacturing and Infrastructure
- CPS infrastructure for design, analysis, and control of manufacturing systems
- Machine-to-machine communications and multi-layer networks and control
- Life cycle engineering, resource optimization, and sustainability
- Supply chain modeling
- Sustainable manufacturing process (continuous and discrete) characterization
- Energy and materials for manufacturing
- Advanced sensors for machine tools for monitoring, control, and optimization
- Computing and Analytics
- Real-time data analytics for predictive modeling for manufacturing system performance
- Uncertainty quantification and propagation, including verification and validation
- Resiliency and recovery of smart manufacturing systems and supply chains
- Advanced (cloud, edge) and high-performance computing
- AI for machine tools for prediction and control—from automation to autonomy
- Cyber security framework and industrial control systems for manufacturing and Industrial Internet of Things (IIoT)
We welcome research papers, industry case studies and application papers, survey papers, and technical notes. We strongly advocate that papers have strong theoretical content and demonstrate manufacturing industry applications.
First Look Papers
Note to users: The section First Look Papers contains peer reviewed and accepted articles
to be published in this journal. When the final article is assigned to an issue of the journal,
the First Look Papers version will be removed from this section and will appear in the associated journal issue.
Dr. Sudarsan Rachuri, Advanced Manufacturing Office, Office of Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy, Department of Energy, Washington, DC, USA
Dr. Yinlun Huang, Ph.D., Professor, Chemical Engineering and Materials Science, and Director, Laboratory for Multiscale Complex Systems Science and Engineering, Department of Chemical Engineering and Materials Science, Wayne State University, Detroit, MI, USA
- Prof. Darek Ceglarek, University of Warwick, Coventry, UK
- Prof. Matthew Doolan, University of New South Wales, Canberra, Australia
- Prof. Karl R. Haapala, Oregon State University, Corvallis, OR, USA
- Prof. Sagar V. Kamarthi, Northeastern University, Boston, MA, USA
- Prof. Soundar Kumara, Pennsylvania State University, University Park, PA, USA
- Prof. Minna Lanz, Tampere University of Technology, Tampere, Finland
- Prof. Sankaran Mahadevan, Vanderbilt University, Nashville, TN, USA
- Dr. Ion Matei, Palo Alto Research Center, Palo Alto, CA, USA
- Dr. Raju Mattikalli, The Boeing Company, Seattle, WA, USA
- Prof. Lihong Qiao, BeiHang University, Beijing, China
- Dr. Rahul Rai, Clemson University, Greenville, SC, USA
- Dr. Prabir Sarkar, Indian Institute of Technology, Ropar, Rupnagar, Punjab, India
- Prof. K. Senthilkumaran, Indian Institute of Information Technology, Design & Manufacturing, Chennai, India
- Prof. Roberto Teti, Università degli Studi di Napoli Federico II, Napoli, Italy
- Prof. Manoj Kumar Tiwari, National Institute of Industrial Engineering, Mumbai, India
- Prof. Li Zheng, Tsinghua University, Beijing, China
- Prof. Thorsten Wuest, West Virginia University, Morgantown, WV, USA
Editorial Board Members
- Dr. Walid Ali, Microsoft, San Francisco, CA, USA
- Prof. Fazleena Badurdeen, University of Kentucky, Lexington, KY, USA
- Dr. Yashwanth Kumar Bandari, Meltio Inc., Delmar, NY, USA
- Prof. Abdelaziz Bouras, Qatar University, Doha, Qatar
- Prof. Bryony DuPont, Oregon State University, Corvallis, OR, USA
- Prof. Sebti Foufou, University of Burgundy Franche-Comté, Dijon, France
- Prof. Pasquale Franciosa, University of Warwick, Coventry, UK
- Prof. Robert Gao, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, OH, USA
- Dr. Oleg Gusikhin, Ford Motor Company, Dearborn, MI, USA
- Prof. Sanjay Jain, George Washington University Washington, DC, USA
- Prof. I. S. Jawahir, University of Kentucky, Lexington, KY, USA
- Prof. Kincho H. Law, Stanford University, Stanford, CA, USA
- Dr. Mahesh Mani, Allegheny Science and Technology, Washington, DC, USA
- Prof. Shreyes N. Melkote, Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta, GA, USA
- Dr. Sachin U. Nimbalkar, Oak Ridge National Laboratory, Oak Ridge, TN, USA
- Dr. Rahul Patil, BASF/WorleyParsons, Houston, TX, USA
- Prof. P. V. M. Rao, Indian Institute of Technology Delhi, New Delhi, India
- Prof. Utpal Roy, Syracuse University, Syracuse, NY, USA
- Prof. Christopher J. Saldana, Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta, GA, USA
- Prof. Eswaran Subrahmanian, Carnegie Mellon University, Pittsburgh, PA, USA
- Prof. Dawn Tilbury, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI, USA
- Dr. Anahita Williamson, NJ, USA
- Dr. Paul William Witherell, National Institute of Standards and Technology, Gaithersburg, MD, USA
- Dr. Lang Yuan, University of South Carolina, Columbia, SC, USA
- Dr. Jing Zhang, Indiana University–Purdue University Indianapolis, Indianapolis, IN, USA
- Dr. Bicheng Zhu, H.A. Automotive Systems Inc., Troy, MI, USA
Advisory Board Members
- Prof. Rakesh Agrawal, Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN, USA
- Dr. Dean Bartles, Manufacturing Technology Deployment Group Inc., Clearwater, FL, USA
- Dr. Gahl Berkooz, Cognata, USA
- Prof. Jian Cao, Northwestern University, Evanston, IL, USA
- Prof. S. K. Gupta, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA, USA
- Prof. Rob Ivester, U.S. Department of Energy, Washington, DC, USA
- Prof. Mark Johnson, Clemson University, Clemson, SC, USA
- Dr. Pramod Khargonekar, University of California, Irvine, Irvine, CA, USA
- Prof. Thomas Kurfess, Oak Ridge National Laboratory, Oak Ridge, TN, USA
- Dr. Peter B. Luh, University of Connecticut, Mansfield, CT, USA
- Dr. Efstratios Pistikopoulos, Texas A&M University, College Station, TX, USA
- Prof. Bahram Ravani, University of California, Davis, CA, USA
- Dr. William C. Regli, The University of Maryland at College Park, College Park, MD, USA
- Prof. S. Sadagopan, International Institute of Information Technology, Bangalore, India
- Dr. Ram D. Sriram, National Institute of Standards and Technology, Gaithersburg, MD, USA
- Albert J. Wavering, National Institute of Standards and Technology, Gaithersburg, MD, USA
Submit your paper online using the Online Paper Submittal tab.
You must accept the ASTM copyright transfer agreement.
Submit only original work. Previously published papers are never acceptable.
Author Instructions for best practices and the ASTM Style Manual can be found here.
Provide complete references so all authors get credit for their work and papers are accepted by indexing and literature search services.
Written permission from the copyright holder must be submitted for any quotes, tables, or figures with appropriate credit.
All artwork will appear in color online and in black and white if printed so be sure your color materials are understandable in black and white. This includes text so don’t refer to the “blue” area but rather the dark area, bold line, dotted line, etc.
All papers are reviewed by at least two anonymous peer reviewers.
Your approved, peer-reviewed paper will be copy-edited and formatted. You will be asked to approve the final version.
Upon approval of the edited version, your paper will be published in the electronic journal.
How does it work?
You receive a User ID and Password to login to your subscription.
Online only: Free
*Individual subscriptions provide single user access for 12 months via username and password.
Individual article downloads available for $25 directly from the website
How does it work?
Access is by IP address.
Online only: $469
Please contact Sales
or call 1-877-909-ASTM.
**Institutional subscriptions provide single site (one geographic location) access for 12 months via IP address.
For Multi-site subscription and pricing, please contact Sales or call 1-877-909-ASTM.