About this journal
The journal is published continuously in one annual issue online. Papers are published online as they are approved and edited. Special Issues may also be published on specific topics of interest to our readers.
Materials Performance and Characterization provides high-quality papers on both the theoretical and practical aspects of the processing, structure, properties, and performance of materials used in:
- energy and
- medical devices.
Materials Covered: (but not limited to)
- Metals and alloys
- Glass and ceramics
- Composite materials
- Textiles and nanomaterials
- Integrity of materials in mechanical testing
- Fatigue and fracture
- Wear and erosion
- Integrity of components and systems such as:
- Rolling element bearings
- Piping and pressure vessels
- Space technology
Abstracting & Indexing Information
The journal publishes articles on both qualitative and quantitative methods used to characterize materials including all forms of microscopy, chemical analysis, and nondestructive evaluation.
First Look Papers
Note to users: The section First Look Papers contains peer reviewed and accepted articles
to be published in this journal. When the final article is assigned to an issue of the journal,
the First Look Papers version will be removed from this section and will appear in the associated journal issue.
Richard W. Neu, Professor, The George W. Woodruff School of Mechanical Engineering and School of Materials Science and Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta, GA 30332-0405, USA
Editorial Board Members
- Dr. Lutz-Michael Berger, Fraunhofer Institute for Ceramic Technologies and Systems IKTS, Dresden, Germany
- Rodney Boyer, RBTi Consulting, Issaquah, WA, USA
- Mr. Brian Cochran, Wabash, IN, USA
- Prof. Leszek A. Dobrzański, ASKLEPIOS Ltd., Gliwice, Poland
- Dr. Ana Sofia C. M. D'Oliveira, Universidade Federal do Paraná, Curitiba, PR — Brazil
- Dr. Rani Elhajjar, University of Wisconsin–Milwaukee, Milwaukee, WI, USA
- Dr. Kip Findley, Colorado School of Mines, Golden, CO, USA
- Dr. Lesley Frame, University of Connecticut, Storrs, CT, USA
- Dr. Joy Gockel, Colorado School of Mines, Golden, CO, USA
- Dr. Jianfeng Gu, Shanghai Jiao Tong University, Shanghai, China
- Dr. Nikhil Gupta, New York University, Polytechnic School of Engineering, Brooklyn, NY, USA
- Dr. Mohamed Hamed, McMaster University, Hamilton, ON, Canada
- Dr. W. Steven Johnson, Materials Science and Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta, GA, USA
- Dr. Iwona Jasiuk, University of Illinois at Urbana–Champaign, Urbana, IL, USA
- Dr. Debra Kaiser, National Institute of Standards and Technology, Gaithersburg, MD, USA
- Dr. Toshiharu Kazama, Muroran Institute of Technology, Hokkaido, Japan
- Dr. Michael Kirka, Oak Ridge National Laboratory, Knoxville, TN, USA
- Dr. Nikolai Kobasko, IQ Technologies Inc., Director of Technology and R&D, Akron, OH, USA
- Dr. Robert Lancaster, Swansea University, Wales, UK
- Dr. Xioayuan Lou, Auburn University, Auburn, GA, USA
- Dr. Reto Luginbüehl, Head of Chemistry & Biology, RMS Foundation, Bettlach, Switzerland
- Dr. Jianbin Luo, State Key Laboratory of Tribology, Tsinghua University, Beijing, China
- Prof. Xinmin Luo, Jiangsu University, School of Material Science and Engineereing, Zhenjiang, Jiangsu, China
- Dr. Lemmy L. Meekisho, Portland State University, Portland, OR, USA
- Dr. Rafael David Mercado-Solis, Autonomous University of Nuevo León, Nuevo Leon, Mexico
- Dr. Jin K. Montclare, New York University, New York, NY, USA
- Dr. S. V. S. Narayana Murty, Vikram Sarabhai Space Center, Trivandrum, India
- Dr.-Ing. Thomas Niendorf, University of Kassel, Kassel, Germany
- Dr. Rosa Simencio Otero, Universidade de São Paulo, São Carlos, Brazil
- Dr. Bojan Podgornik, Institute of Metals and Technology, Ljubljana, Slovenia
- Dr. K. Narayan Prabhu, National Institute of Technology Karnataka Surathkal, Karnataka State, India
- Dr. Barbara Rivolta, Politecnico di Milano, Milano, Italy
- Dr. Jeremy Robinson, University of Limerick, Plassey Park, Limerick, Republic of Ireland
- Dr. Andrew H. Rosenberger, Air Force Research Laboratory, Wright-Patterson AFB, OH, USA
- Dr. Satyam Sahay, Technology Manager, John Deere Technology Center India, Magarpatta City, Pune, India
- Dr. Nima Shamsaei, Auburn University, Auburn, AL, USA
- Dr. Preet Singh, Georgia Institute of Technology, School of Materials Science and Engineering, Atlanta, GA, USA
- Dr. Richard D. Sisson, Jr., Worcester Polytechnic Institute, Worcester, MA, USA
- Prof. Igor Sizov, East Siberia State University of Technology and Management, Ulan-Ude, Russia
- Dr. Kiran Solanki, Arizona State University, Tempe, AZ, USA
- Dr. Calvin Stewart, Ohio State University, Columbus, OH, USA
- Dr. Sabu Thomas, Mahatma Gandhi University, Kottayam, India
- Dr. Vikas Tomar, Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN, USA
- Dr. George E. Totten, G.E. Totten & Associates, LLC, Seattle, WA, USA
- Dr. Simon C. Tung, Tung Innovation Technology Consulting (TITC) Inc., Rochester Hills, MI, USA
- Dr. Chad Ulven, North Dakota State University, Fargo, ND, USA
- Dr. Mathias Woydt, MATRILUB, Berlin, Germany
Submit your paper online using the Online Paper Submittal tab.
You must accept the ASTM copyright transfer agreement.
Submit only original work. Previously published papers are never acceptable.
Author Instructions for best practices and the ASTM Style Manual can be found here.
Provide complete references so all authors get credit for their work and papers are accepted by indexing and literature search services.
Written permission from the copyright holder must be submitted for any quotes, tables, or figures with appropriate credit.
All artwork will appear in color online and in black and white if printed so be sure your color materials are understandable in black and white. This includes text so don’t refer to the “blue” area but rather the dark area, bold line, dotted line, etc.
All papers are reviewed by at least two anonymous peer reviewers.
Your approved, peer-reviewed paper will be copy-edited and formatted. You will be asked to approve the final version.
Upon approval of the edited version, your paper will be published in the electronic journal.
How does it work?
You receive a User ID and Password to login to your subscription.
Online only: $280
*Individual subscriptions provide single user access for 12 months via username and password.
Individual article downloads available for $25 directly from the website
How does it work?
Access is by IP address.
Online only: $469
Please contact Sales
or call 1-877-909-ASTM.
**Institutional subscriptions provide single site (one geographic location) access for 12 months via IP address.
For Multi-site subscription and pricing, please contact Sales or call 1-877-909-ASTM.