Emerging Professionals Program
Empowering Tomorrow's Standards Leaders
ASTM technical committees are welcome to nominate a candidate who wants to become more active on their committee.
The objective of the Emerging Professionals program is to create a new opportunity with long-term benefits for new members who have demonstrated the potential to be industry and committee leaders.
Up to six selected candidates per committee week will:
- Receive round-trip domestic economy airfare to and from the committee week
- Get two-night accommodations in the committee week hotel
- Attend an Emerging Professionals Workshop for a comprehensive introduction to ASTM and its standards development process
- Receive leadership development training from a professional facilitator and learn skills such as negotiation, consensus building, and problem solving
- Participate in technical committee meetings with a committee mentor
Potential candidates for the program shall meet the following criteria:
- One to five years’ experience in standards development or in using ASTM standards in their work
- Works for a company, association, or government agency, that is currently using and/or developing ASTM standards OR attends a university (graduate level or higher) where their work involves/contributes to a significant ASTM activity
- Is available to attend the appropriate technical committee meeting
- ASTM International membership is required for the candidate and mentor. Student membership is acceptable for the nominee.
Workshop Dates 2017
2017 Workshop Speaker:
Jon Hockman, founder and principal at d3 in Washington, D.C. will be the guest speaker at the June, October and November workshops. A Certified Facilitation Professional with 25 years of experience advising association, non-profit and government leaders, Hockman is a fellow in the American Society of Association Executives. His clients have included the American Chemical Society, American Concrete Institute, and the American Institute of Architects.
Now Accepting Nominations
Click here for a nomination form.
"This was a great experience to become familiar with the elements of standard development as well as to meet peers, ASTM management and staff." - Nima Shamsaei, Auburn University
"The program exceeded my expectations by providing a balanced combination of networking opportunities, committee meetings and learning experiences." - Ash Kotwal, Martin Marietta
"I have submitted my first standard and the first ballot went very well! 100% of acceptance! Thank you for your support and training!" - Carla Divieto, National Institute of Metrological Research, Italy
Confirmed Emerging Professionals
The six confirmed Emerging Professionals for June D02 Committee Week are:
- Abdullah Alsamraie, AccuStandard, Inc. (Nominated by Eric Dzialo, D02/D16)
- Andrew Burris, South Coast AQMD (Nominated by Raul Dominguez Jr., D01)
- Jason Cook, Delek Refining (Nominated by Susan Robertson, D02)
- Matthew Hinojosa, Southwest Research Institute (Nominated by John Brunner, D02)
- Michael Mayo, Baker Hughes, Inc. (Nominated by Donald Wolfe, D02)
- Allison Reed, Kinder Morgan Inc. (Nominated by James McGetrick, D02/D03)
For More Information
Questions? Contact Katerina Koperna at +1.610.832.9728 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.