Phase II Environmental Site Assessment Process
On-Site Training Available
ASTM can bring this course to your site. The training can be tailored to meet your specific needs and combined with other environmental training. For more information, please contact sales here or call 1-877-909-ASTM.
About the Course
In this 2-day course you'll:
- Learn how to properly plan and perform Phase II investigations into Recognized Environmental Conditions (RECs) using the methodology in ASTM E1903 Standard Guide for Phase II Environmental Site Assessments.
- Learn the various approaches used in the Phase II process to generate additional information regarding the identification and nature of potential contaminants associated with RECs identified during the Phase I and/or Transaction Screen Processes to assist in making informed business decisions concerning commercial real estate transactions.
- Gain an understanding of the level of knowledge necessary to satisfy the innocent purchaser defense under the Comprehensive Environmental Response, Compensation and Liability Act (CERCLA) and why due diligence is necessary.
Who Should Attend
- Environmental professionals and appraisers
- Environmental professionals responsible for conducting Phase II assessments or reviewing Phase II reports
- Property owners
- Business professionals who rely on environmental due diligence
- Anyone who uses a Phase II report
- E1903 Phase II Environmental Site Assessment Process
- Course notes
- Case studies
- Certificate of Completion
- 1.1 Continuing Education Units (CEUs)
Class Day 1: 8:30 am - 4:30 pm; Day 2: 8:30 a.m. - 2 p.m.
- Scope of the Standard
- User Needs
- Uses of the Standard
- Limitations of the Standard
- Contracting Considerations
- Developing the Scope of Work
- Assessment Activities
- Field Screening & Field Analytical Techniques
- Environmental Media Sampling
- Environmental Sample Handling
- Evaluation and Interpretation of Data
- Evaluation of Data
- Verification of Data
- Interpretation of Results
- Elimination of RECs
- Confirmation of RECs
- Presentation of Findings and Conclusions
- Report Purpose
- Report Characteristics
- Report Components
- Case Studies
- Question & Answer Session
About the Instructor
This course is taught by a professional who contributed to the development of the ASTM Phase II standard as well as the Phase I and Transaction Screen standards. The instructor is a member of ASTM Committee E50 on Environmental Assessments and is now involved in developing new ASTM environmental assessment standards.
About ASTM and Sponsoring Committee E50
ASTM is one of the world's largest voluntary standards development organizations. Recognizing the need for authoritative site assessment standards, ASTM pulled together environmental professionals, real estate and insurance professionals, lawyers, and government representatives. These members of Committee E50 and its Subcommittee E50.02 on Commercial Real Estate Transactions developed the standards upon which this course is based. For more information on Committee E50 contact Molly Lynak or go to our E50 technical committee page.
Attention: Professional Engineers
If your state has a continuing education requirement for license renewal, ASTM training courses and ASTM membership can help you meet that requirement.
You may also be interested in these related courses:
ASTM In-Person Event COVID Guidelines
To view ASTM's In-Person Event COVID Guidelines please click here.