ASTM D5185 Standard Test Method for Multielement Determination of Used and Unused Lubricating Oils and Base Oils by Inductively Coupled Plasma Atomic Emission Spectrometry (ICP-AES)
About the Series
ASTM's Petroleum Lab Technician Series and Asphalt Lab Technician Series enables lab technicians to improve their skills through industry leading, self-guided, online training. The eLearning courses are a key tool to supplement existing internal lab QA/QC programs.
Each course includes:
- Self-guided training complete with video demonstrations, checklists, concept presentations, data sheets and glossaries
- Quiz with automatic grading
- Certificate upon successful completion of course and passing score on the quiz.
ASTM Learning Center
All ASTM online courses are available by subscription on ASTM's Learning Center. The Learning Center provides advanced features that let you set up learning plans, track learning progress and compliance, and run reports.
About the Course
This test method covers the determination of additive elements, wear metals, and contaminants in used and unused lubricating oils and base oils by inductively coupled plasma atomic emission spectrometry (ICP-AES).
The course can be completed in about one hour.
By the end of this course, you will be able to:
- Identify apparatus and related components, including nebulizer and peristaltic pump
- Identify reagents and materials used in multielement determination of used and unused lubricating oils and base oils
- Recognize sampling requirements as outlined in ASTM D5185
- Recall specifications for preparation of apparatus with a focus on maintenance and cleanliness
- Recognize calibration procedures for both the working standard and the working standard with internal standard
- Recall internal standardization procedure
- Identify sample handling procedure as outlined in ASTM D5185
- Recall procedure for preparation of test specimens and standards with a focus on proper dilution
- Recognize test specimen solution analysis procedures, including those for the check standard
- Recall significant figure requirements for reporting
Anyone who runs the D5185 test or who needs an understanding of the test method and how it is properly run.
- Demonstration Video
- Procedural Outline
- Referenced Materials
- Section 14.3 (3:03) length)
CEUs and Certificate
Certificate: A certificate is available upon successful completion of the course and an 80% or higher score on the exam.
Reference Materials Included
1 year online subscription for a Single-User Only via username/password. Requires internet access.
For pricing for Multi-User access or for more information, please contact sales here or call 1-877-909-ASTM.
For a list of technology requirements for accessing ASTM Training please click here.
ADD TO CART