ASTM Standards: What is in ASTM Standards & How are Steels Designated?
This on demand webinar is designed for all individuals who work with steels. You will learn what is in ASTM steel standards, its structure, and the different types of steel standards. You will also learn how ASTM steel specifications and grades are designated and how they compare to the current SAE and former AISI designation systems.
These new skills will improve your ability to identify the correct ASTM specification, grade, and their requirements when ordering steel products and reviewing material test reports (MTRs). These goals are achieved through the use of many Connecting-the-Standards© examples, including: ASTM product specifications, general requirements specifications, test methods, and terminology standards.
Online access is available for one year from the date of purchase.
Participants who successfully complete this on demand webinar will be able to:
- explain what makes a standard and how ASTM standards are structured, including the 28 sections that make up ASTM steel standard specifications;
- describe the different types of ASTM steel standards, their functions and purposes;explain how steel is defined in ASTM standards;describe the ASTM steel standard specification and grade designations;list common steel designation systems and how they are used in ASTM standards; andcompare and contrast the current SAE and "old: AISI steel designation systems to the ASTM steel standard grade designation system.
Who Should Attend
This on demand webinar is designed for QA/QC personnel, engineers, inspectors, supply chain professionals, buyers, tradespeople, and others working for plant owners, pressure equipment manufactures and repair organizations, engineering procurement and construction companies in oil and gas industries (oilfield, upgraders, refineries, etc.), automotive plants, chemical plants, petroleum refining, petrochemical plants, power plants, pulp and paper plants, fertilizer plants, and others.
- What are standards?
- What are ASTM Standards?
- Different types of ASTM standards
- Resolving conflicting ASTM standards
- Functions of ASTM standard specifications
- ASTM standard terminology
- Other standards and nonstandards
- What is in ASTM steel specifications?
- Review of the 28 sections that make up ASTM steel specifications
- What is steel?
- Why is steel a ferrous material?
- How are steels identified in ASTM Standards?
- ASTM standard specification designations
- ASTM steel standard units of measurement
- ASTM steel standard year date
- ASTM standard steel grade designations
- How are other steel designation systems different than in ASTM Standards?
- "Old AISI" steel numbering system replaced by ASTM and SAE standard designations
- Current Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) steel designations
- Carbon and alloy steel grade designations based on letters and numbers
CASTI e-Instructor Support
CASTI e-Instructor provides support for any questions about the online content. To contact the e-instructor, email email@example.com
About the Author
This course was written and maintained by CASTI
Certificate and CEUs
Upon successful completion of this course, a certificate of completion will be issued.
This course is not eligible for CEU's
You may also be interested in these related Virtual Training Courses and On Demand Webinars:
- CASTI Virtual Training Courses
- Steel Basics - Using ASTM Standards
- Carbon and Steel Alloys
- Making Wrought Products
- CASTI On Demand Webinars
- Steel Basics - Using ASTM Standards
- What are Carbon Steels?
- What are Alloy Steels?
- How is Steel Made?
- How are Rolled, Forged, Pipe, Tube, & Wire Products Made?
- How are Mechanical Properties Tested & Reported?