| ||Format||Pages||Price|| |
|4||$44.00||  ADD TO CART|
|Hardcopy (shipping and handling)||4||$44.00||  ADD TO CART|
|Standard + Redline PDF Bundle||8||$52.00||  ADD TO CART|
This specification covers nonrigid vinyl chloride polymer and copolymer classes in which the resin portion of the composition contains at least 90 % vinyl chloride. The remaining 10 % may include one or more monomers copolymerized with vinyl chloride or consist of other resins mechanically blended with polyvinyl chloride or copolymers thereof. The identification of vinyl chloride polymers shall be in accordance with the specified terminology. Material shall be of uniform composition and be so compounded as to meet the requirements designated for it. Nonrigid vinyl chloride plastics ordinarily are supplied in either diced or granulated form. Durometer hardness, specific gravity, tensile strength, volatile loss, brittleness temperature, burning rate, and volume resistance shall be tested to meet the requirements specified.
This abstract is a brief summary of the referenced standard. It is informational only and not an official part of the standard; the full text of the standard itself must be referred to for its use and application. ASTM does not give any warranty express or implied or make any representation that the contents of this abstract are accurate, complete or up to date.
Significance and Use
6.1 Means for selecting and identifying nonrigid vinyl chloride compounds are provided in . The properties enumerated in this table and the tests defined are expected to provide identification of the compounds selected. They are not necessarily suitable for direct application in design because of differences in shape of part, size, loading, environmental conditions, etc. Only when specimens are molded in accordance with can comparative data be expected. The tests selected can also be used for inspection or quality control provided that they are performed strictly in accordance with the instructions given herein and in the designated methods so that extraneous variables are minimized and results are reproduced within the limits of variability of the material being examined and of the tests used for its examination.
1.1 This classification system standard covers nonrigid vinyl chloride polymer and copolymer classes in which the resin portion of the composition contains at least 90 % vinyl chloride. The remaining 10 % can include one or more monomers copolymerized with vinyl chloride or consist of other resins mechanically blended with polyvinyl chloride or copolymers thereof.
1.2 These nonrigid vinyl compounds are defined by a hardness range and include the necessary stabilizers, plasticizers, fillers, dyes, and pigments to meet the designated requirements.
1.3 This classification system standard includes nonrigid vinyl chloride compounds recommended for compression molding, injection molding, and extrusion, but it must be recognized that particular compounds are not suitable for all these means of fabrication.
Note 1: This standard and ISO 2898-1 and ISO 2898-2 address the same subject matter, but differ in technical content.
1.4 The values stated in SI units are to be regarded as the standard. The values given in parentheses are for information only.
1.5 This standard does not purport to address all of the safety concerns, if any, associated with its use. It is the responsibility of the user of this standard to establish appropriate safety, health, and environmental practices and determine the applicability of regulatory limitations prior to use.
1.6 The text of this classification system standard references notes and footnotes which provide explanatory material. These notes and footnotes (excluding those in tables and figures) shall not be considered as requirements of this specification.
1.7 Some applications have the option to contain recycled PVC plastics that meet the requirements of this classification system standard. Refer to the specific requirements in the Materials and Manufacture section of the applicable product standard.
1.8 This international standard was developed in accordance with internationally recognized principles on standardization established in the Decision on Principles for the Development of International Standards, Guides and Recommendations issued by the World Trade Organization Technical Barriers to Trade (TBT) Committee.
2. Referenced Documents (purchase separately) The documents listed below are referenced within the subject standard but are not provided as part of the standard.
D257 Test Methods for DC Resistance or Conductance of Insulating Materials
D618 Practice for Conditioning Plastics for Testing
D635 Test Method for Rate of Burning and/or Extent and Time of Burning of Plastics in a Horizontal Position
D638 Test Method for Tensile Properties of Plastics
D746 Test Method for Brittleness Temperature of Plastics and Elastomers by Impact
D792 Test Methods for Density and Specific Gravity (Relative Density) of Plastics by Displacement
D883 Terminology Relating to Plastics
D1203 Test Methods for Volatile Loss From Plastics Using Activated Carbon Methods
D1600 Terminology for Abbreviated Terms Relating to Plastics
D2240 Test Method for Rubber PropertyDurometer Hardness
D3182 Practice for RubberMaterials, Equipment, and Procedures for Mixing Standard Compounds and Preparing Standard Vulcanized Sheets
D3892 Practice for Packaging/Packing of Plastics
ISO StandardsISO 2898-1 PlasticsPlasticide Compounds of Homopolymers and Copolymers of Vinyl Chloride (PVC-P) ISO 2898-2
ICS Number Code 83.080.20 (Thermoplastic materials)
UNSPSC Code 13111034(Polyvinyl chloride compound)
|Link to Active (This link will always route to the current Active version of the standard.)|
ASTM D2287-19, Standard Classification System and Basis for Specification for Nonrigid Vinyl Chloride Polymer and Copolymer Molding and Extrusion Compounds, ASTM International, West Conshohocken, PA, 2019, www.astm.orgBack to Top