Symposia / General InformationF04 Medical and Surgical Materials and Devices
Pre-registration requested to attend this meeting.
ABOUT THE EVENT
The Workshop on Characterization of Fiber-Based Scaffolds will be held Friday, August 10, 2018 from 9:00am – 6:00pm at the Technology Center located at 400 Commercial Street, Manchester, NH. This workshop is jointly sponsored by ASTM Committee F04 on Medical and Surgical Materials and Devices, and ARMI l BioFabUSA, with participation from the Standards Coordinating Body.
At a 2013 ASTM Workshop on Standards and Measurements for Tissue Engineering Scaffolds, it was determined that the major measurement needs were 1) structural, 2) mechanical and 3) biological (Simon et al. J Biomed Mater Res: Part B, 103B, 949-959, 2015). This upcoming workshop will delve more deeply into these issues and focus on a particular type of scaffold, fiber-based scaffolds. Fiber-based scaffolds are being advanced in tissue engineering for a wide variety of applications. The workshop will focus on fiber-based scaffold characterization including batch to batch variability, measurement validation and release criteria.
- Report that summarizes the findings for publication in the archival literature
- Results from the stakeholder surveys that indicate which measurements are most in need of improvement
- Formation of a working group to write an ASTM Standard Guide for Characterizing Fiber-Based Scaffolds
- Formation of working groups to address specific measurements
Abstracts for Laptop Presentation
The organizing committee is soliciting abstracts for laptop presentation only. The laptops will be displayed on tables in the back of the workshop room. Posters will not be permitted.
In order to be considered for a laptop presentation, abstracts must:
- Fit on one page using the following template: [Abstract Template]
- Be submitted by email to Carl Simon (email@example.com) as a pdf or docx file, no later than Friday, July 20, 2018.
Because a limited number of abstracts will be accepted, be sure that the abstract is complete to allow for careful assessment of the presentations suitability for this workshop.
- Workshop background
- Presentations on fiber-based scaffold characterization, batch to batch variability, measurement validation and release criteria.
- Two Moderated Discussions with each focusing on a particular measurement identified by the stakeholders as “in need of improvement”
- Laptop presentation session
- Summary discussion and consider the formation of working groups to address the issues identified
A more detailed technical program (presentation times, paper titles, and presenters’ names) will be posted on the ASTM website by in late July.
Online registration is now open and closes August 3, 2018. The fees to attend this workshop are listed below. Please note that the fees include a boxed lunch.
Students – A student’s fee is waived, provided that he/she is a full-time student and is not employed full time. After registering online, the student must check in at the ASTM Registration Desk on site and present his/her student ID.
All attendees, including presenters and ASTM members, are urged to register online for this event so that space requirements can be accommodated. If you do not register online by the closing date, then you must register upon arrival at the workshop. All attendees must check in at the ASTM registration desk upon arrival at workshop.
A refund of the workshop fee will be honored only if requested at least 10 business days prior to the workshop. To cancel your registration and request a refund, please contact Symposia Operations at firstname.lastname@example.org or 610-832-9568.
If you have questions concerning online registration, please contact Tessa Sulkes in Symposia Operations at email@example.com Tel: 610-832-9677, or ASTM Technical Support at firstname.lastname@example.org or 1-877-909-2786 (domestic) or 610-832-9578 (international).
ASTM Member Fee
CONTINUING EDUCATION UNITS
Workshop attendees interested in receiving 0.8 Continuing Education Units (CEUs) should complete a CEU application form at the adjournment of the workshop, and then submit it to the ASTM staff member on site. A certificate will be sent to the attendee approximately 4 to 6 weeks after the workshop.>
TECHNICAL CHAIR CONTACT INFORMATION
Additional information about the workshop is available from Workshop Chairperson Carl Simon, Email: email@example.com; Phone: 301-975-8574.
Manchester Downtown Hotel (A block of rooms will be held for ASTM at this hotel through Friday, July 13, 2018, or until the block sells out.)
- 700 Elm Street, Manchester, NH 03101; 603-625-1000
- Manchester Downtown Hotel
- 0.5 miles, 13 min walk to the Technology Center Auditorium
- may offer, when available, a free hotel shuttle within a 10 block radius
Hilton Garden Inn Manchester Downtown
- 101 South Commercial Street, Manchester, NH, 03101; 603-669-2222
- Hilton Garden Inn
- 0.7 miles, 20 min walk to the Technology Center Auditorium
- may offer, when available, a free hotel shuttle within a 5mi radius
TRANSPORTATION AND DIRECTIONS
Manchester Boston Regional Airport (MHT)
- 6 miles from the Technology Center Auditorium
- Hotel shuttles, taxis and Uber/Lyft rides are available from MHT
Boston Logan International Airport (BOS)
- 56 miles from the Technology Center Auditorium
- Metered parking is available on a first come first serve basis in the Arms Park parking lot located on the backside of 400 Commercial Street (parking spots are usually available)
STANDARDS DEVELOPMENT MEETINGS
FUTURE MEETING DATES
Committee F04 invites you to attend their future standards development meetings. There is no fee to attend these meetings, and membership in ASTM International is not required. For more information, visit the web page listed immediately above, and click on “Future Meetings”.
- The Technology Center Auditorium is wheel-chair accessible from the Arms Park parking lot located on the backside of 400 Commercial Street
- The room is all one floor and there are no steps in the room
- There is an elevator in the building