Ten ASTM Water Standards Included in EPA Final Rule
D19 Standards Used for Measuring Regulated Pollutants in Wastewater
Ten standards developed by ASTM International Committee D19 on Water have been included in a final rule published in the Code of Federal Regulations by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency to approve methods for measuring regulated pollutants in wastewater. Guidelines Establishing Test Procedures for the Analysis of Pollutants Under the Clean Water Act; Analysis and Sampling Procedures, was signed by Lisa P. Jackson, EPA administrator, on April 17 and was published in the Federal Register Volume 77, Number 97 (Friday, May 18, 2012) .
Many of the standards in the Methods Update Rule are either new or revised standards for the analysis of cyanides in water. Conventional cyanide methods used for compliance monitoring have historically been problematic due to interference issues. The new ASTM standards implement technology and chemistries that are less susceptible to these matrix interferences, so that results should be more accurate, according to John Sebrowski, senior scientist, Bayer Material Science, and chairman of the cyanide task group within Subcommittee D19.06 on Methods of Analysis for Organic Substances in Water.
According to the EPA, the new and revised standards being added to 40 CFR 136, Guidelines Establishing Test Procedures for the Analysis of Pollutants, through the final rule “will provide increased flexibility to the regulated community and laboratories in their selection of analytical methods for use in Clean Water Act programs.” By their inclusion in the final rule, the following approved methods can be used for determining compliance with National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System permits or other monitoring requirements:
- D2036-09 (B), Test Methods for Cyanides in Water;
- D6888-09, Test Method for Available Cyanide with Ligand Displacement and Flow Injection Analysis (FIA) Utilizing Gas Diffusion Separation and Amperometric Detection;
- D7284-08, Test Method for Total Cyanide in Water by Micro Distillation Followed by Flow Injection Analysis with Gas Diffusion Separation and Amperometric Detection;
- D7511-09, Test Method for Total Cyanide by Segmented Flow Injection Analysis, In-Line Ultraviolet Digestion and Amperometric Detection;
- D4282-02, Test Method for Determination of Free Cyanide in Water and Wastewater by Microdiffusion;
- D7237-10, Test Method for Free Cyanide with Flow Injection Analysis (FIA) Utilizing Gas Diffusion Separation and Amperometric Detection;
- D888-09 (A), Test Methods for Dissolved Oxygen in Water;
- D7365-09a, Practice for Sampling, Preservation and Mitigating Interferences in Water Samples for Analysis of Cyanide;
- D7573-09, Test Method for Total Carbon and Organic Carbon in Water by High Temperature Catalytic Combustion and Infrared Detection; and,
- D7065-06, Test Method for Determination of Nonylphenol, Bisphenol A, p-tert-Octylphenol, Nonylphenol Monoethoxylate and Nonylphoenol Diethoxylate in Environmental Waters by Gas Chromatography Mass Spectrometry.
This article appears in the issue of Standardization News.