ASTM Standards for Light Sport Aircraft
Early Bird Discount Early Bird Discount: ASTM automatically applies a discount of 10% when participants register 60 days prior to the start of the class.
*After the early bird period expires, registrants are subject to standard pricing.
About the Course
This two-day course gives LSA manufacturers the tools they need to establish and maintain staff that are trained in the use and implementation of industry standards. It provides a general overview of all relevant ASTM Committee F37 standards--the only ones currently accepted for use in the United States.
Note: Students are expected to have an understanding of the standards developed by ASTM's Committee F37 on Light Sport Aircraft.
By the end of this course you will be able to:
- Discuss requirements to obtain a Light Sport Aircraft Certificate
- Recall strategies to implement widely accepted internal quality control and production procedures to ensure minimal compliance to the ASTM standards
- Describe how to incorporate standards requirements into company processes
- Discuss procedures to determine and show compliance to the standards
- Discuss the connection between references from civil aviation authorities to use of the standards and requirements in the standards themselves
Who Should Attend
- LSA manufacture personnel assigned to F37 standards compliance
- LSA manufacturer Quality Assurance managers
- Civil Aviation Authority Regulators
- Accident investigators (NTSB)
- State Aviation Authorities
- LSA industry service providers, such as mechanic schools, fixed based operators (FBO's), etc.
- Technicians, shop foremen, sales representatives, and regulators new to LSA, and anyone who needs knowledge of ASTM standards for aircraft
Note: Not intended for aircraft designers with years of experience.
Registration is at 8:00 AM on the first day of class.
Class is 8:30 AM-4:30 PM both days.
Day 1 Overview
- ASTM and LSA Committee Overview
- Standards development process
- Accepted Standards
- Produce Initial Aircraft
- Production test documentation
- Produce Documents
- Establish Authority
- Declare Compliance
- Industry Compliance Auditing
USA Specific Information
- FAA Involvement with Light Sport Aircraft and ASTM Standards
- Filling out a 8130-15 Statement of Compliance
- Required documents, signoffs
- Regulatory documents related to LSA
Cross-Cutting Standards and Developing Compliance Documents
- Engine design
- Emergency parachutes
- Maintenance Manual
- Kit Assembly Instructions
Day 2 Aircraft-Specific Standards (Fixed-Wing)
Technical Review of ASTM F2295 and F2279
- Continued Operational Safety Monitoring (F2295)
- Quality Assurance in Manufacture (F2279)
- Interactive Exercises
- Technical Review of ASTM F2245
- Design and Performance of a LSA Airplane (F2245)
- Document organization
- Comparison to other existing standards
- Mandatory and non-mandatory material
- Interactive Exercises
- Design and Construction
- Appendices-simplified load criteria and water loads
- Power Plant
- Required Equipment
- Aircraft Operating Instructions
- Glider Towing
- Night Flight
Wrap Up and Questions
Get Hands on Experience:
- Perform a sample continued operational safety risk assessment, determine action, create notice of corrective action and show documentation
- Perform a sample receiving inspection, determine the appropriate action for parts that do not conform to drawing requirements and show the required documentation
- Analyze a sample Quality Assurance Record, Quality Assurance Manual, manufacturing process document and compliance checklist to determine they are complete and meet standards requirements
- Analyze the effects of making changes to an aircraft design; determine what limitations, if any, the change would require and show documentation
- Analyze a sample statement of compliance and determine the correct entries for different aircraft
Light Sport Aircraft Certificate Program
For a fee of $99 per person, each attendee will have the option to take an examination to receive a Light Sport Aircraft Certificate. To receive a certificate, the participant must complete the ASTM Light Sport Aircraft Training Course and pass a 50-question multiple-choice examination. A passing score is answering 40 questions (80%) or more correctly on the examination. Benefits of receiving a certificate include:
- Providing LSA manufacturers with a basis for evaluating skills and qualifications of current and future staff
- Allowing certificate holders to differentiate themselves from others in their profession and advance their careers
- Listing in ASTM Directory of Certificate Holders
- ASTM F2245 Standard Specification for Design and Performance of a Light Sport Airplane
- ASTM F2972 Standard Specification for Light Sport Aircraft Manufacturer's Quality Assurance System
- ASTM F2295 Standard Practice for Continued Operational Safety Monitoring of a Light Sport Aircraft
- ASTM F2746 Standard Specification for Pilot's Operating Handbook (POH) for Light Sport Airplane
- ASTM F2483 Standard Practice for Maintenance and the Development of Maintenance Manuals for Light Sport Aircraft
- ASTM F2317/F2317M Standard Specification for Design of Weight-Shift-Control Aircraft
- ASTM F2930 Standard Guide for Compliance with Light Sport Aircraft Standards
- ASTM F2839 Standard Practice for Compliance Audits to ASTM Standards on Light Sport Aircraft
- ASTM F2316 Standard Specification for Airframe Emergency Parachutes
- ASTM F2339 Standard Practice for Design and Manufacture of Reciprocating Spark Ignition Engines for Light Sport Aircraft
- ASTM F3035 Standard Practice for Production Acceptance in the Manufacture of a Fixed Wing Light Sport Aircraft
- Course notes
- Referenced documents
- Certificate of Attendance
- 1.4 CEUs
About the Instructors
Thomas Gunnarson specializes in the coordination, development and promotion of safety standards for Light Sport Aircraft domestically and internationally. He is the U.S. Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) focal for the ASTM F37 Committee on Light Sport Aircraft. He has over 30 years of experience in the recreational aircraft industry, including leadership roles with the Light Aircraft Manufacturers Association and U.S. Ultralight Association.
Adam Morrison, and his company Streamline Designs, provide a variety of engineering, technical, and business consulting services to the aviation industry. He has served the light aircraft industry through standards development, interpretation, application, and training since the beginning of consensus standards development efforts for light aviation. In various leadership roles within the industry, he enjoys bringing together diverse interests for the good of aviation worldwide. He recently received the Daniel A. Schultz Award for significant and outstanding contributions to global standardization by a member of the Light Sport Aircraft community.
About Sponsoring Committee
ASTM is one of the world's largest voluntary standards development organizations. The ASTM Standards and Engineering Digital Library provides instant access to nearly every standard, paper, chapter, or book ever published by ASTM. In addition, the 82 volume Annual Book of ASTM Standards (print and online) contain 13,000 standards written by 34,000 members from 140 technical committees. The members of ASTM Committee F37 on Light Sport Aircraft developed the standards upon which this course is based. For more information, contact Christine DeJong at (610) 832-9736 or go to our F37 technical committee page.
Attend this course and receive a FREE 1-year membership to ASTM International and Committee F37 on Light Sport Aircraft. (Applies to new members only and may not be used to renew existing memberships.)
Attention: Professional Engineers
If your state has a continuing education requirement for license renewal, ASTM training courses and ASTM membership can help you meet that requirement.
On-Site Training Available
ASTM can bring this course to your site. Train your entire staff at once. For more information, contact Sales here or call 1-877-909-ASTM.
How Training Will Be Assessed
Learning will be assessed through a series of question and answer sessions.
This course is also available as an online course: