Use of ASTM Practices, Test Methods and Specifications for Retroreflective Materials Used in Transportation
Why You Should Attend This 2-day course will provide you with a basic understanding of the ASTM standards used to measure and certify retroreflective materials used in the transportation industry.
Learn About * Basic principles of photometry and colorimetry used in retroreflection.
* Equipment used in the measurement of retroreflective properties.
* How the measurements are obtained using the ASTM test methods.
* Difference between laboratory and field measurements of the retroreflective materials.
* Traceability of the lab measurements to the national standardization process.
* Calibration of instruments in the lab and field used in measuring retroreflective properties.
Who Should Attend * State employees of Material and Testing Labs of DOT.
* Commercial testing lab employees.
* State & local employees involved with traffic control devices.
* Transportation consultants involved workers and pedestrians safety.
* Manufacturers of retroreflective materials.
* New graduates of transportation and civil engineering degrees.
* Those in airline, marine, and railway safety organizations concerned with nighttime conspicuousness of vehicles or personnel.
Course Outline (Includes Laboratory Tour on Day 2)
* Geometry of Use
* How retroreflection is used
* Why do we need to measure it?
* Visibility requirements: signs, pavement markers & markings, delineation, safety
* Optical elements and light sources
* Photometric terminology (units) and measurement of the light sources
* Measuring photometric characteristics of retroreflectors.
* National standardization/traceability
* Color measurement and the spectral characteristics of retroreflectors.
* Explanation of color specification boxes in the CIE system
* Measurement methods for fluorescent retroreflective materials using proposed new ASTM specification
* Field and limited lab instrument test methods, including optical characteristics and calibration
* Discussion of several ASTM test methods
* Statistical sampling used for quality control of the retroreflective materials.
* Conducting interlaboratory studies to determine precision using E 691
About the Instructor Justin J. Rennilson is currently president of Rennilson Consulting Services in La Mesa, California. He has previously held positions as Senior Research Fellow at the California Institute of Technology; member of the technical staff at the Jet Propulsion Lab; Optical Engineer at the Visibility Laboratory, Scripps Institute of Oceanography; and vice-president of Research and Engineering at Gamma Scientific Inc.
In addition to being chairman of several technical committees of the International Commission on Illumination (CIE), he was a NASA appointed co-investigator for the Surveyor and Apollo programs.
He received his education at the University of California in Astronomy and the Technical University in Berlin, Germany in Optics.
On-Site Training Available ASTM can bring this course to your site for groups of 15 or more. On-site training courses can also be tailored to meet your specific needs. For more information, please contact sales here or call 1-877-909-ASTM.
Fee Includes * Referenced ASTM Documents
* Course Notes
* Certificate Of Attendance
* 1.5 Continuing Education Units
* Coffee Breaks
ASTM Standards Referenced Test Methods for:
D 4061 Retroreflectance of Horizontal Coatings
E 810 Coefficient for Retroreflective Sheeting
E 1696 Field Measurement of Raised Retroreflective Pavement Markers Using Portable Retroreflectometer
E 1709 Measurement of Retroreflective Signs Using a Portable Retroreflectometer
E 1710 Measurement of Retroreflective Pavement Marking Materials with CEN-Prescribed Geometry
E 1809 Measurement of High-Visibility Retroreflective-Clothing Marking Matls. Using Portable Retroreflectometer
D 4280 Extended Life-Type, Nonplowable, Prismatic, Raised Retroreflective Pavement Markers
D 4383 Plowable, Raised, Retroreflective Pavement Markers
D 4505 Preformed Plastic Pavement Marking Tape of Extended Service Life
D 4592 Preformed Plastic Pavement Marking Tape for Limited Service Life
D 4956 Retroreflective Sheeting for Traffic Control
D 6359 Minimum Retroreflectance of Newly Applied Pavement Marking Using Portable Hand-Operated Instruments
E 1501 Nighttime Photometric Performance of Retroreflective Pedestrian Markings for Visibility Enhancement
E 808 Describing Retroreflection
E 809 Measuring Photometric Characteristics of Retroreflectors
E 811 Measuring Colorimetric Char. of Retroreflectors
E 1743 Portable Retroreflectometers for Pavement Marking
F 923 Properties of High Visibility Materials for Safety
About ASTM and Sponsoring Committee E12 ASTM is one of the world's largest voluntary standards development organizations. ASTM standards have grown to be among the world's most widely used and accepted documents. The 81-volume Annual Book of ASTM Standards (available on CD ROM) contain over 11,000 standards written by 34,000 members on our 140 technical committees. Committee E12 on Color and Appearance developed the standards used in this course. For more information on Committee E12 go to our E12 technical committee page.
Return to Course Listing