Symposia & Workshops / Call For Papers
Title: Fifth Symposium on the Durability of Building and Construction Sealants and Adhesives
Dates: Wednesday June 25 2014 - Thursday June 26 2014
Location: Sheraton Centre Toronto Toronto, ON
Sponsored by: C24
Deadline for Abstract Submittal: Thursday August 15 2013
Papers are invited for the Fifth Symposium on the Durability of Building and Construction Sealants and Adhesives to be held June 25-26, 2014. Sponsored by ASTM Committee C24 on Building Seals and Sealants, the symposium will be held at the Sheraton Toronto in Toronto, Ontario, Canada, in conjunction with the June standards development meetings of Committee.
The objective of this symposium is to gather and disseminate the latest information on all aspects of durability testing, assessment, and specifications for building and construction sealants and adhesives and to provide a forum for the exchange of ideas on current research, national or international.
The scope of the symposium covers all building envelope, interior building, construction, and civil engineering applications. Papers in the following subject areas are being sought:
- Field experience with sealed joints and adhesive fixations
- Sealant and adhesive durability studies
- Investigation of the relationship of accelerated testing to "real world" performance of sealed or bonded joints
- Innovative approaches intended to improve sealed joints or adhesive fixation durability
- Test methods and performance-based specifications that improve the ability to determine long-term seal or bond durability
- Test methods that generate more meaningful material and design information on sealants and adhesives
- Test methods of improved statistical reliability
- Nondestructive test methods
- Test methods designed to generate characteristics of sealed or bonded joints using emerging new sealants or adhesives or new substrates
- Mechanical (static or dynamic) studies
- Analytical studies
- Energy performance studies on real buildings that are a result of renovation using building sealants
- Finite element analysis of sealants and adhesives in new and aged conditions
- Structural sealants
- Lessons learned from misapplication and the proper remediation.
The language of the symposium will be English.
To participate in the symposium, presenters/authors must submit online the Abstract Submittal Form and attach a 250-300 word preliminary abstract no later than August 15, 2013. Scroll to the top of the page to "Go to Abstract Submittal Form". To ensure your abstract was received into the ASTM database system, please email firstname.lastname@example.org stating that your abstract was submitted.
The abstract must include a clear definition of the objective and approach of the work discussed, pointing out material that is new, and present sufficient details regarding results. The presentation and manuscript must not be of a commercial nature nor can it have been previously published. Because a limited number of abstracts will be accepted, be sure that the abstract is complete to allow for careful assessment of the paper's suitability for this symposium. Symposium Co-Chairmen Lawrence Carbary and Andreas Wolf will notify you via e- mail by August 26, 2013 of your paper's acceptability for presentation at the symposium. If the preliminary abstract is accepted, the presenter/author will be requested to submit a final camera-ready abstract several months before the symposium. The final abstracts will be distributed in an abstract booklet at the symposium.
Symposium presenters are required to submit their papers to the Selected Technical Paper (STP), an online and printed, peer-reviewed publication for the international scientific and engineering community. After the final selection of abstracts has been approved, the ASTM Editorial Office will send authors' instructions via email only. Manuscripts to be peer reviewed for the STP are due online no later than June 25, 2014 at the ASTM Editorial Office. The corresponding author (the author who is the main contact with ASTM Headquarters) will receive a copy of his/her paper in portable document format (PDF). All published authors will have the opportunity to purchase reprints of their papers at a nominal cost.
ASTM publishes individual paper(s) in the online STP as they are finalized ASTM also publishes a printed book as a Selected Technical Papers (STP). (A minimum of ten papers is required for a printed STP.) Only those papers submitted by the manuscript due date will be included in the STP.
Additional information about the symposium is available from Symposium Co-Chairmen Lawrence Carbary, Dow Corning Corp, Midland, MI, Email: email@example.com, tel: 989-496-8696 and Andreas T. Wolf, Dow Corning GmbH, Wiesbaden, Germany, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, Tel: +49 (0)611 237.345.