Introduction to Personnel Certificate Program
The ASTM Personnel Certificate Program is sponsored and administered by ASTM International. Personnel receiving a certificate through the program have participated in a learning event or series of events designed to educate or train individuals to achieve specified learning outcomes within a defined scope. Said personnel shall have been verified to have successfully completed all program requisites including, but not limited to, an evaluation of learner attainment of intended learner outcomes. In addition to the learning event, certificate programs differ from certification programs in that certificate programs do not have continuing education, surveillance, or recertification aspects. Once issued, a certificate cannot be withdrawn but may be invalidated. Certificates have a specified period of validity.
Benefits of an ASTM Personnel Certificate
The ASTM Personnel Certificate Program is beneficial to a multitude of stakeholders:
- provides consumers a basis for evaluating service providers;
- helps employers judge the skills of existing or potential employees;
- allows certificate holder to differentiate themselves from others in their profession or advance their careers;
- fosters increased recognition of a profession
- may assist regulatory agendas.
- includes listing in the ASTM Directory of Certificate Holders.
Initiation of a Program
Requests can come from ASTM technical committees or directly from industry usually trade or professional associations, manufacturers, purchasers, or government.
ASTM, with input from the appropriate ASTM technical committee and key stakeholders, will determine whether there is sufficient interest from industry to initiate a new program.