Introduction to Personnel Certification Program
The ASTM Personnel Certification Program is sponsored by ASTM International. Personnel certified through the Program have prerequisite levels of relevant education and/or experience as deemed appropriate by industry standards; have passed an objective examination that is either written, oral, practical, or observational; participate in approved continuing education activities to maintain their professional competencies; and have agreed to adhere to an industry code of conduct. Once certified, personnel are recertified on a periodic basis.
Any person meeting the eligibility requirements of any ASTM personnel certification program may apply for ASTM certification. Individuals with disabilities should notify ASTM of disabilities requiring special accommodation upon initial contact with ASTM.
Benefits of ASTM Personnel Certification
The ASTM Personnel Certification Program is beneficial to a multitude of stakeholders:
- provides consumers a basis for evaluating service providers;
- helps employers judge the skills of existing or potential employees;
- allows certificants to differentiate themselves from others in their profession or advance their careers;
- fosters increased recognition of a profession
- may assist regulatory agendas.
- includes listing in the ASTM Directory of Certified Personnel.
Initiation of a Program
Requests can come from ASTM technical committees or directly from industry usually trade or professional associations, manufacturers, purchasers, or government.
ASTM, with input from the appropriate ASTM technical committee and key stakeholders, will determine whether there is sufficient interest from industry to initiate a new program.