ASTM International Committee A05 on Metallic-Coated Iron and Steel Products will host a workshop, Hazardous Substances Affecting Metallic-Coated Steel and Other Metals, on May 23, during the ASTM Committee Week in Norfolk, Va. The workshop will begin at 8:00 a.m. and pre-registration will be required.
The topic of the workshop will be the European Parliament and Council Directive on the Restrictions and Use of Certain Hazardous Substances in Electrical and Electronic Equipment (“the RoHS Directive”). These regulations ban the selling of electrical and electronic equipment containing more than the permitted levels of certain elements, such as lead, cadmium, mercury, and hexavalent chromium, and other chemicals.
The workshop will include presentations by experts on the implications of RoHS, how to ensure metal products comply with the regulations, how to test products for compliance, what coated products/end uses are and are not affected, and surface treatments that are RoHS-compliant.
The following presentations will be made at the workshop:
• RoHS Overview Timothy
McGrady, chairman, Committee F40 on Declarable Substances.
• Experience of European Hot-Dip Galvanizers Thomas Langill, American Galvanizers Association.
• Henkel Surface Technologies: RoHS Compliant Treatments Robert Miller, Henkel Surface Technologies.
• Chemetall-Oakite: RoHS Compliant Treatments Carl Gillman, Chemetall-Oakite.
• International Lead Zinc Research Organization Perspective - Andrew Green, International Lead Zinc Research Organization.
• Presentation from Underwriters Laboratory on RoHS issues speaker to be announced.
• Presentation from a U.S. appliance manufacturer on supplier expectations speaker to be announced.
This workshop is currently scheduled to begin at 8 a.m. and pre-registration will be required. In addition to Committee A05, the workshop will be of interest to members of many ASTM committees, including A01 on Steel, Stainless Steel and Related Alloys, B02 on Nonferrous Metals and Alloys, B07 on Light Metals and Alloys, E01 on Analytical Chemistry for Metals, Ores, and Related Materials, F40 on Declarable Substances in Materials and G01 on Corrosion of Metals. //
Technical Information: Gary Dallin,Galvinfo Center,Burlington, Ontario, Canada
ASTM staff: Kevin Shanahan
Upcoming Meeting: May 20-22
May Committee Week