MOYER D. THOMAS AWARD
The Moyer D. Thomas Award was established in 1975 by action of the Executive Committee of Committee D22 on Sampling and Analysis of Atmospheres. The award is conferred preferably, but not necessarily, on a present or past member of Committee D22 in recognition of outstanding achievement in the field of the sampling and analysis of atmospheres, with emphasis on contributions leading to the development and use of consensus standards.
RULES GOVERNING THE AWARD
1. The award shall be conferred in recognition of outstanding achievement in the
standardization of the sampling and analysis of atmospheres. This shall include
achievements in one or more of the following categories:
2. The purpose of the award is to stimulate the scientific approach to the sampling and analysis of atmospheres by consensus standardization of the methodology involved, and to improve the precision and accuracy of the measurements of the characteristics of atmospheres.
3. The award shall be administered by the Moyer D. Thomas Award Task Group of the Executive Committee of D22. The Task Group shall consist of the Chairman, who shall be the current 3rd Vice-Chairman of Committee D22, the Chairman of Committee D22 (as an ex-officio member) and three other members of D22 appointed for staggered three-year terms, preferably as follows:
The members of the Task group shall be appointed by the 3rd Vice-Chairman of D22 with approval of the Executive Committee. An appointment shall be made each year within one month of the spring meeting of Committee D22 to fill the vacancy on the Task Group. A change in the affiliation of a member during his term shall not change to category of the member for the duration of his term. Any member of the Task Group who becomes ineligible due to resignation from the Task Group or Committee D22 shall be replaced by a D22 member from the same category. When an appointed member’s term expires, he shall not be eligible for reappointment until the lapse of one mil term. Member of the Moyer D. Thomas Award Task Group shall not be eligible for the award while serving on the Task Group.
4. Nominations for the award, with substantiating information, may be submitted in writing by any interested person or persons, to the Awards Task Group for consideration.
5. Only one award shall be given in any one year, but not necessarily each year. The award may not be given if, in the opinion of the Task Group, no nominee meets the standards for the award.
6. The award shall not necessarily be limited to nominees who are present or past members of Committee D22, however, such service to the preparation of consensus standards shall be considered preferentially by the Task Group.
7. The award will not be made posthumously, except that if the selected recipient dies prior to the presentation of the award.
8. The Task Group shall select the recipient and shall notify the Secretary of Committee D22 no later than three months prior to the presentation of: (1) Name and address of the recipient, (2) the citation for the award (3) any other recommendations including the basis for the award and emphasizing how the individual meets the awards criteria.
9. The Secretary of Committee D22 shall notify the Staff Manager of the Committee's decision to present the award two months prior to the time of presentation and the Staff Manager shall notify the Awards Administrator of the Society, who will notify the recipient that he/she has been selected to receive the award.
10. The Task Group shall cooperate with the Secretary of Committee D22 and the Staff Manager of D22 in arrangements for securing and presenting the award.
11. The presentation of the award shall be made at an appropriate meeting of Committee D22 by an officer of the Society or of Committee D22.
12. The Executive Committee of D22 shall have the authority to decide any question not specifically covered by these rules. Changes in these rules may be recommended by the Task Group and become effective on approval by the Executive Committee of D22 and the Board of Directors of the Society.
FORM OF THE AWARD
As approved by the Executive Committee of D22, the award shall consist of a gold medal, the final form to be approved by the Executive Committee. The cost of the medal and engraving shall be borne by Committee D22. An appropriate certificate of citation shall accompany the medal. The name of the recipient will be placed on a name strip and added to the plaque at ASTM Headquarters.
Search for past recipients through the ASTM International Awards and Recipients Database