FREDERICK A. LOWENHEIM AWARD
The Frederick A. Lowenheim Award is presented not more frequently than once a year to a member, or former member, of Committee B08 on Metallic and Inorganic Coatings who has exhibited the characteristics that made Dr. Lowenheim a valued colleague and friend of the committee and its members.
The award, established in 1982, honors Dr. Frederick A. Lowenheim a Fellow of the Society, former past chairman of Subcommittee B08.05 on Coatings of Tin, Lead, and their Alloys, and honorary member from 1952 to 1980, and retired employee of the M & T Chemicals Company.
RULES GOVERNING THE AWARD
• Nominations shall be made by Committee B08 Awards Committee at the spring meeting of the Committee. Each nomination shall be accompanied by documentation of candidate's qualifications for the award.
• No award shall be given if it is believed that there are no qualified members.
• If the Chairman concurs with the nomination of the Awards Committee, he shall submit a written nomination of the candidate to the B08 Executive Committee at the closed meeting of the Executive Committee, the nomination shall be approved if at least two-thirds of the members present approve of the nomination.
• No records of the discussion of the award shall be kept and the minutes of the Executive Committee meeting shall reference the decision only if the vote for the nominee is favorable.
• The award shall be presented to the nominee at a regular function of the Main Committee.
• If a candidate is a member of the Executive Committee, the chairman may modify the method of the Executive Committee consideration and action as he sees fit so that the deliberations are not revealed to the candidate. It is expected that this will be through correspondence, informal meetings with one or more Executive Committee members, and telephone conversations.
• The Award will be presented as a surprise to the recipient; therefore, the recipient will not be notified of selection prior to the receipt of the award.
Award to recipients
The Frederick A Lowenheim Award shall consist of a bronze and formica plaque with matching formica name plates, which will be mounted on the wall at ASTM Headquarters. The plaque will read:
Frederick A. Lowenheim Memorial Award
Committee B08 on Metallic and Inorganic Coatings
In recognition of high competency and professionalism in the technology of metal and inorganic coatings as exemplified by Dr. Frederick A. Lowenheim, a Fellow of ASTM and Honorary Member of the Committee
The recipient will be presented with a certificate containing the following:
Frederick A. Lowenheim Memorial Award is presented by ASTM Committee B08 on
Metallic and Inorganic Coatings to
in recognition of high competence and professionalism in the technology of metallic and inorganic finishes as was exemplified by Dr. Frederick A. Lowenheim.
Chairman of Committee B08 ASTM Chairman of the Board
FINANCING OF THE AWARD
The Frederick A. Lowenheim Memorial Award plaque displayed at ASTM Headquarters shall be initially financed by members of Committee B08 on Metallic and Inorganic Coatings and matching funds donated by M & T Chemicals.
The annual fee engraving name plate and the certificate will be the responsibility of Committee B08 on Metallic and Inorganic Coatings.
Search for past recipients through the ASTM International Awards and Recipients Database