Frank W. Reinhart Award - Guidelines
FRANK W REINHART AWARD
The Frank W. Reinhart Award is presented not more frequently than once a year to a technical committee, a subcommittee thereof, or a member of the Society who has made outstanding and unusual contribution to the Society in the area of terminology standardization.
The Award, established in 1981, honors Dr. Frank W. Reinhart, long active in ASTM terminology work. Dr. Reinhart exemplified the intent of the award citation through his dedication to the use of correct and appropriate technical terminology in ASTM standards, both as a member of former ASTM Committee E08 on Nomenclature and Definitions, and as its Chairman from 1962 to 1976.
RULES GOVERNING THE AWARD
- The award shall be administered by the COS Subcommittee on Form & Style (formerly administered by Committee E02 on Terminology), consisting of three members of COS appointed by the Committee Chairman.
- Nominations will be solicited through a notice to be placed by the Awards Administrator in the January issue of Standardization News. The deadline will be August 1st of that year.
- Each year, at the September meeting, the COS Form & Style Subcommittee shall consider the submitted nominations. If, in its opinion, no one qualifies for the award, none shall be given.
- If there is a worthy candidate, the COS Form & Style Subcommittee shall present its findings to the Chairman of COS, who shall report its recommendations to the Committee for approval. The recommendations shall include an appropriate citation to appear on the award plaque.
- The Award shall consist of a walnut plaque and will be suitably engraved with the name of the recipient, prepared citation, the date of presentation, and signatures of the Secretary and Chairman of COS. If an entire committee or subcommittee is named as award recipient, a plaque will be presented to the chairman only of the respective group.
PREPARATION OF NOMINATIONS
SECTION II - CITATION
This should be carefully prepared wording illustrating why the recipient is getting the award. Please be brief, no longer than 3 or 4 lines.
SECTION III - QUALIFICATIONS
This should be a narrative outlining the activities that qualify a nominee for the Frank W. Reinhart Award. Present, in an organized format, the facts and figures of the nominee's contribution to the cause of voluntary standardization, specifically with respect to outstanding and unusual contribution to the Society in the area of terminology standardization.
SECTION IV – NOMINATING COMMITTEE
Please list the names and addresses of the persons submitting the nominations. Please include telephone number and e-mail addresses as appropriate.
Funding of the award is the responsibility of COS.
Search for past recipients through the ASTM International Awards and Recipients Database