Founding Committee Award - Guidelines
Committee A01 FOUNDING COMMITTEE AWARD
Establishment of the Award
A01 established the Award in 2004 to recognize distinguished service by individual members. The award is granted solely on merit. The title of the Award - "The Founding Committee Award" recognizes A01 as the committee at ASTM's Foundation and the role the blacksmiths and foundries of the late 1800's and early 1900's played in helping to establish A01 and the Society, as we know it today.
Any or all of the following types of service shall be considered as the basis for selecting an individual for the Award:
- Unusually productive service in ASTM Committee A01 activity through its subcommittees, sections and/or task groups over a substantial period of time.
- Marked leadership in technical, administrative, or special activities of A01. The nominee need not have been a Committee officer.
- Outstanding contributions in the areas of research or testing leading to new or significant revision of existing A01 standards.
- Symposia or publication activities of special benefit to the work of the Committee.
- Any other outstanding service or activity that has greatly enhanced the prestige , standing, or interests of A01.
- Due to the stature of the award, and at the same time recognizing the large initial pool of members with exemplary service, there shall be no more than two presentations in a calendar year.
- Members of the A01.90 Executive Subcommittee or the A01.93 Awards Subcommittee shall make written award nominations to the Chairman of A01.93.
- To be eligible a nominee shall be a current or past member of A01. An individual is only eligible to be awarded the Founding Committee Award one time.
- The letter of nomination should detail the basis and eligibility of the nominee for this award including the type of service(s) to be considered. Include other considerations not easily documented by facts and figures. Remember, the Award is given for Exemplary service to A01. Please refrain from including any personal data.
- After 2004, letters shall be submitted to the Chairman of A01.93 no later than March 1st.
- Nominations received after that date will be considered the following year. Nominations will be considered valid for two calendar years.
- A01.93 will normally process selections at its spring meeting. Award presentations will be made at the Fall A01.90 Executive Committee meeting unless the individual is unable to attend in which case other arrangements will be made.
- A01.93 shall confirm the nominee has performed DISTINGUISHED, and not just expected service to A01.
- All members of A01.93 shall be entitled to a vote. Approval of the nominee(s) requires a 2/3 affirmative vote of the members present. A maximum of two awards shall be presented each calendar year to the nominees garnering the most votes.
- The Awards Subcommittee Chairman shall notify the recipients in writing no later than three months in advance of the fall meeting, whenever possible.
- Letters for unsuccessful nominees shall be held and reconsidered the following calendar year.
FORM AND PRESENTATION OF THE AWARD
The award consists of a walnut plaque presented to the individual along with the posting of their name on the A01 wall plaque at ASTM headquarters. The citations will contain the following:
A01 Steel, Stainless Steel, And Related Alloys Founding Committee Award
a. Plaque at Headquarters: This award, the most prestigious presented by Committee A01, is conferred upon the individuals named in recognition of the highest level of leadership and exemplary contributions to ASTM's Founding Committee in the development and promotion of voluntary consensus standards.
b. Individual plaque: This award, the most prestigious presented by Committee A01, is
(name in Capital Letters)
In recognition of the highest level of leadership and exemplary contributions to ASTM's Founding Committee in the development and promotion of voluntary consensus standards.
The individual plaque will also contain the year presented along with the signatures of the President of ASTM and the Chairman of A01.
Executive Subcommittee A01.90 has approved funding the plaque at Headquarters from the A01 fund. Individual plaques will be funded from ASTM award funding granted each year or, when that fund is exhausted, from the A01 fund.
Search for past recipients through the ASTM International Awards and Recipients Database