David R. Peryam Committee E18 Award
The David R. Peryam Award was established by ASTM Committee E18 on Sensory Evaluation to recognize outstanding professionals in the field of applied sensory science. The award is granted to individuals who best exemplify the life and career of Dr. David R. Peryam.
The awardee shall be living at the time of the award and shall possess a number of the following attributes:
1. Has made significant and sustaining contributions to the advancement of the field of Applied Sensory Science and in particular to the utilization of the science by business and industry.
2. Has made significant original contributions.
3. Is widely published.
4. Has shared knowledge of the field with others through papers, articles, seminars, mentoring, teaching, coaching, and consulting.
5. Is or has been an active member of a professional society related to sensory and should have contributed to its growth.
6. Has been involved in Community work.
7. Has admirable personal characteristics such as humility and sensitivity to others.
8. Has given time and effort to students of sensory research and food science, either as a part-time teacher, guest lecturer, textbook author, or publisher.
9. Is diverse - strong in business, applied science.
10. Has made a career achievement.
Form of the Award
The award consists of the following:
Two large plaques: one hangs at ASTM Headquarters in Conshohocken, PA and one hangs at Peryam & Kroll headquarters in Chicago, Ill. The plaques are mahogany with brass plates for the recipient name and the date the award was received. A description of the award is in the top center of the plaque. The ASTM logo in brass is on one side of the description and a 3 dimensional brass bust of Dave Peryam is on the other. The bust is taken from an early picture of Dave wearing a cowboy hat. We thought that this was appropriate since this exemplifies the pioneer spirit. Bev Kroll has very generously donated the plaques.
Individual Brass Disc with award information on the front and the recipient's name and year on the back. This disc is hung from a red and gray ribbon inside of a Mahogany glassed frame. It can be worn around the neck.
- Lapel Pin
- A $500 honorarium to help pay for the recipients travel expenses to receive the award.
The award review committee consists of the E18 Awards Committee, Beverly Kroll of Peryam and Kroll, the chair of the Sensory Evaluation Division of IFT and other persons who are knowledgeable about the work of Dr. Peryam.
Suggested Format for Nomination
Section 1 Biographical Information
Section 2 Documentation of Qualifications
Section 3 Summary
Section 4 Nomination Source
Search for past recipients through the ASTM International Awards and Recipients Database