The ASTM President’s Leadership Award was established by the ASTM Board of Directors in 2007 to recognize extraordinary leadership within the first five years of an individual’s association with ASTM International.
The purpose of the ASTM President’s Leadership Award is to acknowledge individuals who, early in their ASTM career, have significantly advanced the Society’s mission through extraordinary accomplishment, example, and vision. The Award signifies the promise of continued success of ASTM International, made possible through the inspiration and positive contributions of new volunteers.
This Award recognizes exemplary service. Examples of the types of service that warrant nomination for the President’s Leadership Award include:
• Successful leadership of a major new activity, such as establishment of a new technical committee or subcommittee
• Revitalizing a dormant activity
• Advancing the global application of ASTM International standards
• Reducing the cycle time of ASTM standards development
• Advancing the use of ASTM standards in regulation
• Influencing public policy regarding the positive role of ASTM standards
• Unusually productive service in ASTM committee work
• Fostering widespread appreciation of ASTM among industry executives
• Successful academic outreach
• Noteworthy public benefit resulting from exemplary ASTM work
• Any other outstanding service or activity that has greatly enhanced the prestige or standing, and advanced the interests of, a particular technical committee or the Society as a whole
Award requirements are as follows:
Candidates must have made significant, noteworthy, and exceptional contributions to ASTM International.
Candidates’ activity must occur within the first five years of their association with ASTM, and nominations for the Award must be made within the first seven years of the candidate’s association with the Society. (For example, the nominee for a February 1, 2009 submission shall not have been affiliated with ASTM prior to February 2002).
Candidates may or may not be members of ASTM International.
Candidates must be living at the time of nomination in order to be eligible for consideration.
Candidates may be nominated by individuals or groups from within or outside ASTM International. While in office, Society officers and directors, and ASTM International employees are prohibited from being nominated as candidates for the Award.
The award is administered as follows:
1. No more than two (2) individuals can be selected for the Award in a single year. If no suitable candidates are identified in a particular year, the Award is not given that year.
2. Nominations must include a detailed description of the nominee’s accomplishments, vision, leadership, and commitment, as well as relevant examples of achievements that fulfill the award’s criteria. Nominations must be submitted to ASTM Headquarters (e-mail preferred) by 1 February to firstname.lastname@example.org or mailed to Maryann Zamorski at 100 Barr Harbor Drive, West Conshohocken, PA 19429-2959 USA.
3. The ASTM President will select the award winner.
4. Award winners will be announced on the ASTM website and in ASTM’s print and online news publications. A news release will be issued. Question and answer interviews with Award recipients are encouraged for print publication and on the website.
5. Nominations are valid for only one year, but may be re-submitted each year up to a maximum of three consecutive years, however, nominations must be submitted within seven years of the nominee’s initial service to ASTM International.
FORM AND PRESENTATION OF THE AWARD
Successful nominees are notified of their election by the Office of the ASTM President. Time and place for presentation of the award is designated by the President after consultation with the award winner and the ASTM International staff.
The Award shall consist of an etched crystal tower, or similar item, and a certificate frame plaque containing a personal letter from the ASTM President.
Search for past recipients through the ASTM International Awards and Recipients Database