Published: Jan 1952
| ||Format||Pages||Price|| |
|PDF Version (340K)||5||$25||  ADD TO CART|
|Complete Source PDF (5.4M)||5||$55||  ADD TO CART|
In 1945 two earth-filled concrete barricades 1200 ft long, 10 ft wide and 20 ft high were built on a site reclaimed from a tidal marsh. No soil investigation was made prior to construction but since the soil conditions were known to be poor, sand drains 50 ft deep, 18 in. in diameter and approximately 15 ft on centers were installed over the entire area before filling was begun. These drains were connected at the ground surface by lateral sand-filled trench drains which extended to the edge of the area to be filled. Placing of a fill of variable depth (0 to 20 ft) was accomplished by end dumping from trucks and as a result of the truck traffic the fill was compacted to such an extent that it was quite impervious. The fill was placed to a height approximately 5 ft above the planned finished grade to overload and consolidate the soft sub-soil. The overload was left in place for several months. Although no records of settlement were kept for this period, it is known that the fill settled several feet before the overload was removed and construction was begun. The barricades were built directly on top of the fill and began settling immediately after construction.
Thompson, James B.
Civil Engineer, Department of the Navy, Washington, D. C.,
Palmer, L. A.
Head, Department of the Navy, Washington, D. C.,
Paper ID: STP48292S