Smith, K. D.
Technical Superintendent, The B. F. Goodrich Co., Akron, Ohio
Pages: 6 Published: Jan 1935
It seems to be difficult and at least very impractical to attempt to discuss tires as a material without connecting the functions of those materials, which make up tires and tubes, with the road and the automobile on which they are used. Hence, in the following comments it will be necessary to consider tires not independently but more as a component part of an automobile. However, they must be accepted as a very important accessory, because without pneumatic tires it is doubtful if the automobile could have reached its present stage of development. We are all, from first-hand knowledge, familiar with the changes that have been made—starting with the original solid buggy tires and then to pneumatic fabric tires of single tube construction. The first fabric clincher type tires in the 36 by 4-in. size were made in 1896 by the B. F. Goodrich Co. for the Winton Co. Then followed a noteworthy development with the introduction of the straight-side bead tires. These were made with non-extensible beads and were much easier to apply to the rims, and they also eliminated many of the disadvantages of the clincher tires. About 1914 we came to another development in the use of cord to replace square woven fabric for the body of the tire. This gave more resilience—cutting down the power loss—and brought about a considerable improvement in service by making the carcass more resistant to bruising.
Paper ID: STP46801S