STP141

    Trends in the Use of Tin in the Container Industry

    Published: Jan 1953


      Format Pages Price  
    PDF (208K) 11 $25   ADD TO CART
    Complete Source PDF (2.2M) 11 $55   ADD TO CART


    Abstract

    To those interested in tin it is well known that the largest single use for the metal is in the tin-plate industry, and judging from Bureau of Mines reports, it appears that under normal circumstances it should be expected that some 40 per cent of the tin consumed in this country will be used for this purpose. In the past thirteen years it also appears that roughly 70 per cent of the tin mill products (tin, terne, and black plate) produced in the United States has been consumed in the form of metal cans. The container industry and its customer thus indirectly become the consumers most concerned with this use of tin. The remaining 30 per cent of the tin mill products are accounted for by exports, crown caps or other closures, and a miscellany of items such as tinware, gas meters, and signs.


    Author Information:

    Hartwell, R. R.
    Assistant to Manager, American Can Co., Maywood, Ill.


    Paper ID: STP44047S

    Committee/Subcommittee: B02.02

    DOI: 10.1520/STP44047S


    CrossRef ASTM International is a member of CrossRef.