STP796: Cartilage and Bone Ingrowth into Porous Titanium Implants

    Nelson, DD
    Orthopedic research fellows and associate professor, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, Pa.

    Rubash, HE
    Orthopedic research fellows and associate professor, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, Pa.

    Mears, DC
    Orthopedic research fellows and associate professor, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, Pa.

    Pages: 10    Published: Jan 1983


    Abstract

    Cultured lapine articular chondrocytes were transplanted onto porous Ti-6Al-4V alloy and placed into osteochondral defects of 26 rabbit medial femoral condyles. At four, eight, and twelve weeks, the surface of porous titanium with a cell culture implant was compared with the animal's control knee, which had not received the cultured chondrocytes. Histologic examination of the articular surface revealed chondrocytes with metachromatic ground substance in 35 percent of the experimental knees. In the remaining 65 percent, either thick fibrous tissue or fibrocartilage was evident. The control knees revealed dense fibrous tissue. Thus, cultured chondrocytes can be grown on a porous titanium surface in vivo. However, the histologic appearance is not that of normal articular chondrocytes.

    Keywords:

    lapine chondrocytes, osteochondral ingrowth, femoral condyles, histology, metachromatic ground substance, fibrocartilage, titanium alloy, implant materials


    Paper ID: STP28948S

    Committee/Subcommittee: F04.21

    DOI: 10.1520/STP28948S


    CrossRef ASTM International is a member of CrossRef.