Volume 49, Issue 3 (May 2004)

    Sudden Death Caused by 1,1-difluoroethane Inhalation

    (Received 4 August 2003; accepted 21 November 2003)

    Published Online: March


      Format Pages Price  
    PDF 3 $25   ADD TO CART


    A 20-year-old man was found dead on the floor next to a computer, with a nearly full can of “CRC Duster” dust remover located next to the deceased on the floor, and an empty can of the same product on the computer desk. Toxicologic evaluation using either gas chromatography/mass spectrometry (GC/MS) or gas chromatography/flame ionization detector (GC/FID) method identified the active ingredient 1,1-difluoroethane (Freon 152a) in all tissues analyzed. Tissue distribution studies revealed highest concentration in central blood, lung, and liver. It is believed that the 1,1-difluoroethane inhalation was the cause of death.

    Author Information:

    Wetli, CV

    Avella, J
    Suffolk County Office of the Medical Examiner, Hauppauge, NY

    Xiong, Z
    State University of New York at Stony Brook, Stony Brook, NY

    Stock #: JFS2003250

    ISSN: 0022-1198

    DOI: 10.1520/JFS2003250

    ASTM International
    is a member of CrossRef.

    Title Sudden Death Caused by 1,1-difluoroethane Inhalation
    Symposium , 0000-00-00
    Committee E30