Volume 47, Issue 6 (November 2002)

    Colchicine Poisoning Resulting from Accidental Ingestion of Meadow Saffron (Colchicum Autumnale)

    (Received 14 June 2002; accepted 31 May 2002)

    Published Online: November

    CODEN: JFSOAD

      Format Pages Price  
    PDF Version 6 $25   ADD TO CART


    Abstract

    A rare case of colchicine poisoning resulting from accidental ingestion of meadow saffron (Colchicum Autumnale) is reported. The plant can frequently be found in the woods of the Northern Hemisphere (1), also in Japan. A 48-year-old male was admitted to hospital complaining of vomiting, nausea and diarrhea following ingestion of the plant and died in four days. The most striking histological findings were metaphasic mitotic figures in the mucosa of the large intestine and the liver. Colchicine was detected in the bile with high-performance liquid chromatography/ sonicspray ionization mass spectrometry (HPLC/SSI-MS).


    Author Information:

    Kuroda, N
    Hirosaki University School of Medicine, Aomori,

    Sannohe, S
    Hirosaki University School of Medicine, Aomori,

    Kita, T
    Hirosaki University School of Medicine, Aomori,

    Shinozuka, T
    School of Medicine, Keio University, Tokyo,

    Makino, Y
    Hirosaki University School of Medicine, Aomori,


    Stock #: JFS15581J

    ISSN: 0022-1198

    DOI: 10.1520/JFS15581J

    ASTM International
    is a member of CrossRef.

    Author
    Title Colchicine Poisoning Resulting from Accidental Ingestion of Meadow Saffron (Colchicum Autumnale)
    Symposium , 0000-00-00
    Committee E30