Volume 35, Issue 1 (January 1990)

    Death Following Accidental Sodium Azide Ingestion

    (Received 4 November 1988; accepted 28 February 1989)

    CODEN: JFSOAD

      Format Pages Price  
    PDF Version 4 $25   ADD TO CART


    Abstract

    Two college students developed symptoms of poisoning following ingestion of a salt solution during a college physiology laboratory exercise. Symptoms included nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and altered consciousness. The ingested solution was identified as isotonic buffered saline containing sodium azide in a concentration of 1.0 g/L. The solution was commercially prepared for instrumentation use only and was used inadvertently for the exercise instead of freshly preparing sodium chloride in water. One student drank three sips of the solution and survived. The other student drank 700 to 800 mL and over several days became progressively ill, suffering myocardial damage and cardiac dysrhythmias, and, finally, died. Toxicologic studies confirmed the presence of azide in an antemortem urine sample from the deceased. Sodium azide is an uncommon but potent poison which can cause serious illness and death.


    Author Information:

    Lacsina, EQ
    Associate medical examiner and chief medical examiner, Pierce County, Tacoma, WA

    Case, GA
    Toxicologist, Washington State Toxicology Laboratory, Seattle, WA

    Howard, JD
    Associate medical examiner and chief medical examiner, Pierce County, Tacoma, WA

    Skogerboe, KJ
    Senior fellow, University of Washington, Seattle, WA

    Raisys, VA
    State toxicologist and Professor, University of Washington, Seattle, WA


    Stock #: JFS12818J

    ISSN: 0022-1198

    DOI: 10.1520/JFS12818J

    ASTM International
    is a member of CrossRef.

    Author
    Title Death Following Accidental Sodium Azide Ingestion
    Symposium , 0000-00-00
    Committee E30