Volume 34, Issue 5 (September 1989)
Practical Measures to Reduce Medical Expert Witness Bias
To minimize bias by the testifying clinician, particularly in professional liability cases, six practical measures should be used:
(1) testify for both the plaintiff and the defense in different cases,
(2) assess the merits of the case separately from agreeing to testify,
(3) insist on reviewing all the records thoroughly,
(4) develop a solid medical posture for each case,
(5) review the case in a balanced, critical manner, and
(6) articulate carefully the standard of care in his words before expressing it in deposition or at trial.
The expert must stay within his role and duty as “expert witness” to remain effective.