(Received 17 March 1988; accepted 4 April 1988)
| ||Format||Pages||Price|| |
|PDF Version||5||$25||  ADD TO CART|
A group of four illegal aliens had been without food for several days when they found a group of wild mushrooms growing in a field in Southern California. Each man consumed a meal of one to six fried mushrooms. Two days after eating the mushrooms, all four men developed abdominal pain, nausea, diarrhea, and intractable vomiting. Three days after consuming the mushrooms, all four were hospitalized and their clinical courses rapidly deteriorated to refractory hepatorenal failure and coma. Three of the victims died three days after admission to the hospital and the fourth died eight days after admission. The autopsy findings are presented and the mechanism of Amanita phalloides mushroom poisoning is discussed.
Fellow in forensic pathology, Armed Forces Institute of Pathology, Washington, DC
Fellow in forensic pathology, Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis, IN
associate professor of forensic pathology, Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis, IN
Stock #: JFS12613J