Volume 26, Issue 3 (July 1981)

    Fatal Methemoglobinemia Resulting from Ingestion of Isobutyl Nitrite, a “Room Odorizer” Widely Used for Recreational Purposes

    (Received 31 July 1980; accepted 1 December 1980)

    Published Online: July

    CODEN: JFSOAD

      Format Pages Price  
    PDF 7 $25   ADD TO CART


    Abstract

    The alkyl nitrites, specifically isobutyl nitrite, have taken a prominent place among those substances enjoying widespread recreational use, primarily in discotheques and during sexual activity. Though the usual route of administration by inhalation has not resulted in any toxicologically verified deaths, the chemical may cause fatal toxic methemoglobinemia if ingested. A case with a fatal outcome is presented, and the chemistry and toxicology of the substance are discussed.


    Author Information:

    Dixon, DS
    Deputy medical examiner, chief of laboratory service, and deputy chief of laboratory service, Office of the Chief Medical Examiner, Washington, D.C.

    Santinga, PH
    Deputy medical examiner, chief of laboratory service, and deputy chief of laboratory service, Office of the Chief Medical Examiner, Washington, D.C.

    Reisch, RF
    Deputy medical examiner, chief of laboratory service, and deputy chief of laboratory service, Office of the Chief Medical Examiner, Washington, D.C.


    Stock #: JFS11404J

    ISSN: 0022-1198

    DOI: 10.1520/JFS11404J

    ASTM International
    is a member of CrossRef.

    Author
    Title Fatal Methemoglobinemia Resulting from Ingestion of Isobutyl Nitrite, a “Room Odorizer” Widely Used for Recreational Purposes
    Symposium , 0000-00-00
    Committee E30