Volume 32, Issue 6 (November 1987)

    Ingestion of Isobutyl Nitrite, A Recreational Chemical of Abuse, Causing Fatal Methemoglobinemia

    (Received 30 March 1987; accepted 6 April 1987)

    Published Online: November

    CODEN: JFSOAD

      Format Pages Price  
    PDF Version 2 $25   ADD TO CART


    Abstract

    Isobutyl nitrite is widely abused as a sexual stimulant and enhancer of discotheque dancing. Though the usual route of administration by inhalation has not resulted in any toxicologically verified deaths, there may be fatal toxic methemoglobinemia if the chemical is orally ingested. A second case of death following ingestion is discussed.


    Author Information:

    Dixon, DS
    deputy medical examiner, Office of the Coroner, County of San Diego, San Diego, CA

    Robbins, GB
    Medical examiner of Bristol County, Massachusetts and pathologist for medical examiner of Bristol County, Commonwealth of Massachusetts, Office of the Medical Examiner, Boston, MA

    O'Toole, JB
    Medical examiner of Bristol County, Massachusetts and pathologist for medical examiner of Bristol County, Commonwealth of Massachusetts, Office of the Medical Examiner, Boston, MA


    Stock #: JFS11240J

    ISSN: 0022-1198

    DOI: 10.1520/JFS11240J

    ASTM International
    is a member of CrossRef.

    Author
    Title Ingestion of Isobutyl Nitrite, A Recreational Chemical of Abuse, Causing Fatal Methemoglobinemia
    Symposium , 0000-00-00
    Committee E30