Committee E42 on Surface Analysis
* Review and coordination of the development of standards for all methods of surface analysis by photon, electron, and ion emission or reflection methods. Typical methods include: Auger electron spectroscopy (AES); X-ray photoelectron spectroscopy (XPS or ESCA); ion-scattering spectroscopy (ISS); secondary ion mass spectroscopy (SIMS); Rutherford backscattering spectroscopy (RBS); and the use of ion bombardment and other methods to obtain composition versus depth information.
* Preparation of standard practices for the methods included in Article 2.1.1.
* Establishment of standard definitions of terms relating to methods included in Article 2.1.1.
* Cooperation with agencies concerned with preparation and distribution of standard reference materials.
* Advancement of the field of surface analysis by promoting the collection of exchange of information through surveys, cooperative programs, publication of suggested methods and practices, meeting, and symposia.
* The formulation and evaluation of standard surface analysis methods shall be confined to those methods not included in the scope of other ASTM Committees, except by mutual agreement.
* Maintenance of a current appraisal of new and developing surface analysis techniques, as to their principles, applicability, and limitations.
* These activities will be coordinated with other ASTM Committees and other organizations having mutual interests.