Committee D02 on Petroleum Products and Lubricants
The promotion of knowledge and the promulgation of standard specifications, classifications, test methods, practices, guides, and terminology in the following technical fields:
* Liquid fuels derived from petroleum or from the liquefaction of coal, shale, tar sands, or other naturally-occurring materials; liquefied petroleum gas (LPG); and oxygenates as automotive fuels or components thereof. Such liquid fuels encompass fuels used for aviation, automotive, burner, diesel, gas turbine, and marine services.
* Liquid and semi-solid lubricants derived in whole or in part from petroleum, synthetics (such as ester lubricating oils), or biological products;
* Hydraulic fluids whether derived in whole or in part from petroleum or from other sources;
* Gaseous or liquid hydrocarbons, and mixtures of hydrocarbons, for chemical and special uses, and fuel products derived therefrom;
* Petroleum coke, industrial carbons, and industrial pitches derived in whole or in part from petroleum liquids;
* Petrolatum and petroleum waxes; and
* Additives and other substances which affect the product characteristics of fuels, lubricants, or other products within the scope of the Committee.
Also included within the scope of the Committee shall be the promotion of knowledge and the promulgation of standards on the environmental persistence (biodegradation), ecotoxicity, and bioaccumulation of the products indicated in paragraph 1.
Specifically excluded from the scope of the Committee are standards related to the following technical areas:
? Gaseous fuels, including natural gas and manufactured gases such as water gas;
? Aromatic and naphthenic hydrocarbons containing six or more carbon atoms, and used in chemical manufacture;
? Road and paving materials, bituminous waterproofing and roofing materials;
? Paint thinners;
? Electrical insulating materials.
The work of this Committee shall be coordinated with other ASTM Committees and with organizations having mutual interests.