Technical Committees / Committee E44 / Solar Activities Management Plan
ASTM International's New Solar Activities
ASTM International Technical Committee E44 on Solar, Geothermal and Alternative Energy Sources has organized renewed efforts for standards development in the solar energy industry. During their February 19, 2009 virtual meeting with national laboratories, manufacturers, government agencies and researchers, they were able to identify various areas of both short and long term standards development needs. ASTM technical committee E44 evaluated and addressed those needs recently identified. From these recent efforts we have the following new standards development projects:
- Installation of Roof Mounted Photovoltaic Arrays WK21327
- Reporting Photovoltaic Non-Concentrator System Performance WK22009
- Solar Radiation Weathering of Photovoltaic Modules WK22010
- Photovoltaic Module Reliability Assessment WK25362
- Photovoltaic Module Frame Grounding Issues (Contact Staff Manager for More Information or to Join)
- Wind Load Testing, Analysis, and Design Code Development (Contact Staff Manager for More Information or to Join)
In addition to these efforts, a new subcommittee on glass for solar applications has been developed. An April 2008 workshop held by the U.S. Department of Energy to explore how the glass and solar industries could best meet each other's needs served as the impetus for the formation of E44.20. During this workshop, it was decided that solar glass standards should be developed so that any solar manufacturer would be able to purchase glass from different supplies, as long as it met necessary standards for transmissivity, strength, coatings and other characteristics. Following this workshop, the Department of Energy consulted with ASTM International, which ultimately led to the formation of the new subcommittee.
New Standards Published:
- E2685 Standard Specification for Steel Blades Used with the Photovoltaic Module Surface Cut Test
- All E44 Published Standards
Minutes to our Past Planning Meetings:
Additional Printable Resources:
ASTM invites you to attend our future meetings. If you would like any more information on our efforts, upcoming virtual meetings or our next E44 meeting in Atlanta, GA this November 10-11th, please contact Staff Manager, Christine DeJong at email@example.com or call 610/832-9736. ASTM meetings and membership are open forums. Contribute your expertise to the standards development process that helps promote knowledge and stimulate research in the field. Click here for more information about E44 or Invite a Colleague to Join ASTM.